Jurassic 5 rocks the mic

By Kaitlin Thaney

“We be the crew, guess who, Jayou R-A-double-S, I-C, we’re in the place to be” – which just so happened to be MIT this past Saturday, April 26. Jurassic 5 took over 2,500 people back to the sounds of Grand Master Flash and Run DMC at the Johnson Athletic Center for MIT’s Springfest.

The arena was packed with students from all over the city of Boston, there to see Ok Go and the headliner, Jurassic 5. The crowd could be heard from outside when the members of Jurassic 5 took the stage. The floor was packed, as well as the stands, as people tried to get as close as possible to the group, who originated in Los Angeles.

With an energy level that was off the charts, the crowd joined J5 in their performance which exuded an air of confidence passion for what they do and love for their audience. With harmonies that take their “old-school” style to new heights and beats from their dee jays that would seem unheard of, J5 made sure that the show was memorable for all. DJ Cut Chemist had a mini-turntable that he hung around his neck and used on stage while still making mixes that were unique and riveting to say the least. The group was even joined by Rahzel from The Roots for their encore.

J5 came about from two smaller hip-hop groups that met through performing at Good Life Caf