3 day blood drive fills with eager donors

Every quarter Circle K sponsors a blood drive, along with the American Red Cross, and every quarter the appointments fill up. This quarter is no different.

“Most days are full, with about 80 appointments a day,” said freshman biochemistry major Jessica Baycroft. “The Red Cross usually sets a goal for the drives and they usually make their goal.”

Baycroft, who is also one of the two contacts at Northeastern for the Red Cross, said she likes to do service projects.

“A lot of work goes into it, but I think it is worth it,” she said, adding that in order for the blood drive, or any other service project to be successful, people need to pitch in.

And they have. Though mostly students have volunteered to give blood, Baycroft said there is a good mix of staff and faculty.

The month of April was recently designated “National Donate Life Month” by Health and Human Services Department Secretary Tommy Thompson. The HHS also recently declared the status of the nation’s blood supply a national emergency, the Red Cross’ Web site said, urging people to give the gift of live — blood.

This particular drive is spanning over a period of three days; Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday until 3 p.m. in the Curry Student Center Ballroom. But all is not lost if you do not donate blood at this particular time, other donation sites are listed on the American Red Cross’ Web site; newenglandblood.org.