When spring has sprung

By Bradley Rosenberg

Forget the wedding. It’s time for a big, fat Greek party. On Sunday, April 13, the Federation of Hellenic-American Societies of New England (FHASNE) will hold its 8th annual Greek Independence Day Parade, and all are encouraged to come help them celebrate. The parade begins its rollicking on Boylston Street at 1 p.m., and it won’t end until it reaches Charles Street.

“It’s something all Greeks look forward to,” FHASNE President George Markakos said. “We celebrate our ethnicity; we try to bring together the Hellions … I pray to God we have a sunny day.”

The parade, which is sponsored by FHASNE in conjunction with the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston, the Consulate General of Greece, and the Mayor’s Office of Special Events and Tourism, will end two weeks of Greek Independence Day celebrations, and will be presided over by its Grand Marshall, Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

“We are very grateful to have a man such as Mr. Menino,” Markakos said. “He is [the Federation’s] best friend, and he supports the Greek community 100 percent.”

According to Patte Papa, the event manager for the city of Boston, Menino is glad that he can help.

“He supports the parade and the Greek communities of Boston,” she said.

Papa also expressed her own appreciation for the parade.

“It’s very pretty,” she said. “They put together a lot of floats, and I have never seen so many church groups in my life.”

With at least 50 chapters of FHASNE and 60 churches expected to attend, the crowd does not seem like it will be any less of a spectacle than it has been in past years.

“We expect a lot of people,” Markakos said.

Despite the crowd that is being anticipated, Markakos still wants to extend an open invitation to all who can come, non-Greeks included.

“Everyone is entitled [to attend the parade],” he said.

“If you come from [anywhere but Greece], you can come as long as you’re peaceful. It is a beautiful and peaceful parade, and united we stand.”

Other Greek Independence events that will take place this week: on Friday, April 11, the Commemoration of the Greek Revolution at the State House will take place, and on Saturday, April 12, the Greek Independence Day Gala Dinner will be held.