Venture into the Abyss

By Jeff Schaible

Using IMAX theatres’ advanced 3D photography, “Ghosts of the Abyss” takes the audience on a unique look at an extraordinary journey to the legendary wreck of the Titanic.

Academy Award winning director James Cameron returns to the site of his greatest work — the Titanic. Actor Bill Paxton and a team of historic and marine experts journey into the depths of the North Atlantic where 1,500 people lost their lives in 1912. “Ghosts of the Abyss” provides a diary-like description of the expedition while imposing actors into the scenes to better illustrate what exactly happened.

Cameron, best known for his blockbuster hits “The Terminator,” “Aliens,” and of course “Titanic,” continues his work with the infamous ocean liner in this unscripted documentary. Using state-of-the-art technology developed specifically for the film, Cameron’s crew is able to bring audiences an unprecedented exploration of nearly all of the wreckage.

Paxton, a close friend of Cameron’s, best known for his roles in “Twister” and “Apollo 13,” has worked with Cameron in numerous films, including “Titanic.” Those familiar with the movie will remember Paxton as a deep-sea explorer in “Titanic,” however he had never actually dove to the wreck until “Ghosts of the Abyss.” While Paxton’s visible apprehension during his initial submergence provided both humor and a human element not as visible in his historian and scientist shipmates, at many times he came off as too poetic for this documentary.

While the film could have stood as an admirable documentary on its own, the use of IMAX’s 3D technology made the movie more interesting and created a unique feeling of being with the crew. While wandering through the many rooms of the wreckage, the 3D adds to a sense of awe at the truly immense ship as the viewer himself enters rooms not seen in nearly a century.

Although the Titanic has been filmed many times since its location was discovered in 1985, no one could have imagined using such advanced technology to provide audiences with a deep look into the maze of the ship’s interior. Using remote operated robots nicknamed “Jake” and “Elwood,” equipped with powerful lights and high-tech cameras, exploration of rooms previously inaccessible became possible.

“Ghosts of the Abyss” provides those especially interested with the ill-fated ship a new look at one of the largest moving objects ever built as it is now, decaying and eerily peaceful.

Ninety-one years after its sinking, the Titanic still continues to intrigue and fascinate the public. Regardless of your level of interest, it will grab audiences and only add to the fame and allure of the tragic ruins.