African American Institute celebrates 35 years

By Karen Gilmore

The John D. O’ Bryant African-American Institute (JDOAAI) had its 35th anniversary celebration and Black Alumni Reunion this weekend. Northeastern students enjoyed a variety of free events over the three days and had the chance to network with faculty and alumni outside of the classroom.

The first event of the weekend was the Annual Black Latino Softball Challenge held at Carter Park on Columbus Avenue Friday. Though the Jungle Cats won the eight-team tournament, all students had fun just participating in the game.

“This event brought together students from all years, all majors, all races and all ethnicities,” said Latin American Student Organization (LASO) President Jorge Sanchez, a junior criminal justice major.

“I think it was a really great event,” Frances Alcantara, a freshman architecture/psychology major said. “Even for the people who didn’t play.”

“It was open for anybody,” the Assistant Director for the Latino/a Student Cultural Center Alejandra Lombardo said. “The outcome of today will keep us motivated to do it next year,” Lombardo said.

Dean of Student Services Dr. Keith Motley said that it was a great way for him to reconnect “with students on a different level” and it allowed him a “reminiscence of when I was a student here in the 70s.”

“Everyone at least came by to say hello even if they couldn’t stay,” said Jessica Hamilton, a freshman international affairs major.

After the softball game, students geared up for the JDOAII Unity Gospel Ensemble performance that evening. The group sang praise and worship songs and selections from Kirk Franklin and Yolanda Adams in the Curry Student Center Ballroom.

Hillary Gabbidon, a 1997 alumna, said that “the choir members are more diverse” since she attended Northeastern.

Following the Gospel concert was a game night/ mix and mingle until 11p.m. The celebration then continued onto Afterhours for an “Old School/ NU Party.”

On Saturday morning a group of NU alumni got together at the JDOAAI to explore and discuss ideas about how to reach out to other alumni.

The Annual Greek Step Show, sponsored by the Panhellenic Council was held at Matthews Arena Saturday afternoon.

During the show’s awards ceremony, the hosts of the event planned to bring the best female and male stepper on stage. Without her knowing, the selected best female stepper was brought up on stage, soon to be joined by the best male stepper – her boyfriend, with a dozen roses.

The girl was caught off guard, and as he proposed marriage in front of Matthews arena she began to cry and accepted his proposal.

“[Before the proposal] they asked the best female stepper a couple of trivia questions, ‘Where are most black fraternities and sororities. She answered, ‘Obviously Howard,'” said Claudia Rosa, an 18-year-old senior at O’Bryant High School. “It was a set-up because then the best male stepper came out with a dozen roses, he took the mic and went off. He had his piece of paper, but he ended up just going off the top of his head.”

Later, approximately 70 people attended the Semi-Formal Ball in the Curry Student Center Ballroom at 8:30 p.m. Saturday night. Low lighting accompanied by jazz and hip-hop music set the atmosphere as students, staff and alumni mingled and danced to some old school sounds. The celebration was later moved to AfterHOURS.

“No one ever told me that [college] was the best time of your life … you take it for granted while you’re here,” said Keith Lamotte, a 1980 alumnis. “Make use of networks when you’re here … be sincere about it.”

The Unity Awards Banquet was held on Sunday at 11 a.m. on the ground level of the Curry Student Center. Massachusetts State Representative Marie St. Fleur gave the keynote address. Students were presented with a variety of awards including the “Outstanding Ujima Scholar Award” and the “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Graduate Fellowship.”

“I was a Ujima scholar,” said Dana Benton, a senior sociology major and recipient of the Senior Academic Excellence Award. “When people are placed in the program they are often treated by many people as underachievers and I am proof that SAT scores do not override determination and destiny. In the fall I’ll be going to Harvard Graduate School of Education.”

While Associate Dean and Director of the JDOAAI Lula Petty-Edwards played a “front and center” role in organizing the event that began its planning stages in December, she said that it could not have been done without the large contribution of the alumni.

“It didn’t just happen,” Edwards said, the JDOAAI is an accomplishment for Black people and the NU community.”