Mutants invade local theaters in X2

Comic book heroes have often had a hard time making the transition to the silver screen. Fortunately, “X2: X-Men United” meets and overcomes those challenges with ease.

The sequel to the 2000 blockbuster hit “X-Men” is the perfect blend of new and old. Historically, movies based on comic book characters have been blasted for straying from what made those characters so popular on paper. Other critics say that the movies are too much like the comic book and that the movies aren’t enjoyable for non-comic fans. Nowit appears a middle ground has been found.

Director Bryan Singer (“X-Men,” “Usual Suspects”) returns to direct the follow-up which surpasses the original in almost every way, something that is rarely accomplished in the cinematic world. While its predecessor was done very well, it did hit the one snag most movies like this cannot avoid. Much of that movie was spent introducing characters, providing background and setting up future events. This was irritating to some moviegoers who are familiar with the Marvel Comics franchise, but was entertaining nonetheless.

The only disappointing part of this movie is that certain characters are not developed enough. Characters like Storm, played by Halle Berry, end up being reduced to eye candy set off to the side in a handful of scenes. James Marsden’s Cyclops also has limited on-screen time, yet his character was much more predominant in the comic book.

“X-2” isn’t complicated, it isn’t heart-wrenching. It is simply a fun movie to watch. This installment also has a much more concrete ending, yet it does set the stage for the third movie. Moviegoers who are familiar with the comic, you’ll know what is coming in the next movie from this one’s ending. For all others, you may not know what is coming, but if you liked the first two you won’t want to miss the next one.