Questioning SGA

The Student Government Association has revamped its constitution and bylaws. Nothing major, at least to the average student, has changed. The larger changes are on the horizon, especially when direct elections are on Joe Student’s plate as soon as next year.

However, before the average student, who is not a student, or special interest, senator can participate in the coveted SGA annual election of its executive board, the students must put their trust in the senate’s hands, for these are the only students who can recommend possible debate questions at elections. This trust should ensure that the right candidate is elected and the wrong candidates are given another year to sharpen their leadership skills and perfect their craft.

As easy as it may seem, this is not always the case. Last year is a prime example. All but one of the elections was uncontested. The election was a fallacy, a joke. The term “election” need not apply in that situation, but, being the governing board of the university, it did. This year’s executive board had its bumps along the way, losing one member on the journey and picking up a possibly stronger leader down the road. But all too often students may pose the all too common question, like “What has SGA done this year?”

Too many times the students of NU say, “I don’t know,” to that question. For too many years students have shrugged their shoulders at the notion that elections for next year’s SGA Executive Board are around the corner, knowing full well that they have no say and their opinions do not matter.

As apathetic as the student body may be, it embodies determination, and the governing board that represents the university should reflect that. This year, it does not.

In order for the right executive board to be elected, the candidates must answer the toughest questions: those written by their peers; peers that are not within the inner circle of student government. These questions should be written by the full-time student that works 30 hours a week to pay their tuition bill, the same student that would ask one particular presidential candidate, “Why did you raise the Student Activities Fee?”

The answer to that has been rehearsed, no doubt, by Sam Klar, a student senator and SGA presidential candidate, but even so, does it make logical sense to a commuter student who could use that $100 on gas? Or what about the student that has been bounced around from co-op adviser to co-op adviser? Is it not in a vice president’s job description to monitor? To alleviate?

There is financial aid. There is funding and reallocation for student groups. There are questions about courses, grades, professors, parking, dining dollars and “What is this about semester conversion?” that many students still have questions about. Though not all the responsibility lies on SGA’s shoulders, it’s a start.

SGA needs to accept questions for the debates, leading up to elections on May 14, from the students themselves. If SGA will not accept recommendations for questions, The Northeastern News and this organization, comprised of undergraduate students, will make sure that the REAL questions will be posed at elections.

The students of NU deserve a competent governing board to represent them on countless student issues. By accepting these questions, SGA will be taking the first step in the right direction to honoring their commitment to the student body.