South Asian culture dances its way into the Ballroom

By Justiniano Rodrigues

Hundreds of people came together on April 12 to experience the splendors of South Asia’s cultures in UTSAV’s annual culture show, Nataraj. UTSAV means “festival” in Sanskriti and is a group that has served as Northeastern’s South Asian Student Organization since 1991.

Each year members of UTSAV work hard to put together Nataraj, a show filled with upbeat and colorful performances from the South Asian subcontinent. The show is very diverse and provides a combination of Hindu spirituality, hip hop and modern Indian music.

From the extravagant, cheerful and upbeat Bhangra to the colorful Gujarati garba, this year’s Nataraj was a remarkable presentation of South Asian cultures. The show started out with a classical Thai dance by Amy Chacko, adorned with beautiful Indian jewelry and a traditional gown while she danced around the stage on the rim of a brass plate.

UTSAV’s very own hip hop dance team, Essence joined students from LASO (Latino American Student Organization), Barkada (a Filipino Organization) and the honorary sisters of Delta Phi Omega Sorority to groove to both new and old school music. This combination of Latin, Indian and hip hop moves was truly magnificent. Northeastern’s Cultural Dance Organization (NUCDO) represented the hip hop culture by putting on a step and dance performance. MCs Pooja Desai, Abraham Koshy and Kavita Patel were on hand to entertain the audience during breaks in the show with their wit and Indian humor.

Spectators cheered with enthusiasm while the male Bhangra dancers did tricks with long stick-like objects and waved their handkerchiefs in the air. Later Bhangra was performed again, but this time female dancers joined their partners and showed off their Punjabi dance moves. At the end of the dance they formed a beautiful pose for the audience. The audience responded with loud claps to the Bhangra beat, and shouts of “hey, hey!”

During intermission, South Asian delicacies, such as samosas, were served. The show continued as models walked with style and elegance in a fashion show that featured the finest of South Asian cultural and modern clothing. By the end, the stage was filled with dancers in colorful Gujarati clothing, carrying a golden artifact while they danced garba.

At the conclusion of the eventful evening the e-board came together and was applauded for a job well done.