Calendar for April 8 to April 14

Event of the Week – Sex and Showtunes:
Northeastern’s musical theater group The Great White Way is pulling an impressive array of showtunes out of its pocket for its third full-length revue. The theme? “The Battle of the Sexes,” with about 50 cast members performing 24 numbers from classic Broadway tunes to retro pop, and more current stage hits, all focusing on that whole kind of men-are-from-mars as women-are-from-venus deal. No-brainers like “It’s Raining Men” will join “Let it Go” from “The Full Monty.” Hilarity enjoyable by those on both sides of the gender divide seems likely to ensue. The revue will take place April 11 from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets are free, but have to be picked up in advance from the Ell Hall box office. For more, visit nuweb9.neu.edu/tgww/.

Friday,
April 9

It’s spring, time to put away those winter coats, gloves, scarves, hoodies, knit sweaters, thermals, cardigans … ah, what the hell, why not do away with clothes all together? Such is the philosophy behind the seasonal tradition of the Northeastern Underwear Run, during which students will exercise their new found freedom in warm weather dressing by – well – not dressing much at all. “The time has come to strip down and run,” says the event’s Facebook page, which also says there will be a prize for best undergarment. You might want to dig deep into the drawer for this one! Run starts in front of Speare Hall; 9 p.m.; Free.

Saturday,
April 10

Boston geeks – and we mean that in the most positive way possible – have had a lot on their plates lately. The video game conference PAX was followed up by the Anime Boston convention this past weekend. Next up is Boston Comic Con, a celebration of all things graphic novel-related that takes place at the Westin Boston Waterfront this Saturday and Sunday. Scores of vendors and artists will be at the gathering, including speed-cartoonist Sergio Aragonés and former X-Men artist and Image Comics co-founder Jim Lee and Mike Mignola, the creator of “Hellboy.” For fans of the comic style, it’s a convention to get animated about. 425 Summer St.; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; $15 each day;
508-320-1440.

Sunday,
April 11

Here’s one for both classical music fans and hardcore film history buffs (combined, there must be a roomful of you guys out there!). Georges Méliès’ early 1900s classic “A Trip to the Moon” is a tour de force of impressive pre-special effects trick photography and fantastic landscapes. There’s only one problem, there’s no sound! Enter the NU Wind Ensemble, which will perform a student-written score to interpret and accompany the on-screen action. Bonus: Also on the menu is other space-related music composed by John Williams (you know, of “Star Wars” and Boston Pops fame), and works by Dvorak, Reed, Holst, and others. 77 St. Stephen St.; 4 p.m.; Free; [email protected].

Monday,
April 12

The Boston Public Library’s epic “Made in Massachusetts” continues this week with a local favorite, Martin Scorcese’s Boston crime thriller “The Departed.” Come laugh (or cry) at Leonardo DiCaprio’s terrible Boston accent, but be sure not to miss the suspenseful plot of intrigue and double-crossing that plays out between him and Ben Affleck’s character, a crooked police officer. For a free afternoon of crime drama from one of film’s better working directors, its hard to beat – accents and all. 700 Boylston St.; 6 p.m.; Free; 617-536-5400.

Tuesday,
April 13

Political cartoons have moved generations to laughter with their scathing visual satire. But lately, differences in culture have led to large-scale offense and even, in some cases, threats of violence in response to certain examples of especially inflammatory editorial cartooning. Those interested in the intersection of free speech, culture, and satire might want to check out the panel “Political Cartoons and Free Speech,” held at the French Library Alliance Francaise. Experts include artists Jean Plantu of France’s Le Monde, Khalil Abu Arafeh of the East Jerusalem paper Alquds, and Uri Fink, an Israeli comic book artist. Their perspectives on the effects of inflammatory satire in inflammatory situations could interest both artists and the politically minded. 53 Marlborough St.; 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Free; 617-912-0400.

Wednesday,
April 14

Poetry Slam has always been an art form with wide appeal, bridging the narrow gap and walking the thin line between poetry and hip hop, among other things. In Boston, one of the surest places to catch it is Cambridge’s Cantab Lounge, which has Boston Poetry Slam events and open mics every Wednesday. This time, accomplished slam poet and author Karen Finneyfrock will be on hand as part of a tour in support of her new book, “Ceremony for the Choking Ghost.” 738 Mass. Ave., Cambridge; 8 p.m.; $3; [email protected].