Cupcake culture: Finding the perfect treat

By Kate Lieb, News Correspondent

Yearning to satisfy that gnawing cupcake craving? There are a few places in the greater Boston area that allow you to do just that.

Sweet

49 Mass Ave., Boston, 617-247-2253
Zero Brattle St., Cambridge, 617-547-2253

Feel: Sugary sweet, think little girls in frilly dresses

Price Point: Regular size cupcakes, $3.25; minis, $1.95.

Sweet on Massachusetts Avenue greets patrons with friendly sales staff and cheery decor; ‘80s and ‘90s hits blasting through the stereo as customers face a daunting task: Choosing a cupcake. With dozens of choices, it could take a while – from staple flavors like red velvet cake and Boston cream pie, to the variety of seasonal options like jelly doughnut and banana split, each treat looks more desirable than the next. For frosting lovers, Sweet does not disappoint, as it seems there is more frosting than actual cupcake. They even offer frosting shots for 50 cents.

Kickass Cupcakes

378 Highland Ave., Somerville, 617-628-2877

Feel: A tiny spot with a funky feel

Price Point: Regular-sized cupcakes,$3; XL, $4; Pup/Kittycakes, $1.75.

With a name like Kickass Cupcakes, customers expect some awesome concoctions. So keeping true to their title, this Davis Square spot injects the average cupcake with creative flair. There’s one called the Green Monster – a Sam Adams Cream Stout chocolate cupcake with a chocolate beer ganache center and green chocolate beer frosting. For a tarter taste, there’s the mojito, a rum-soaked cupcake with sugarcane lime frosting  fresh mint. They also serve gluten-free cupcakes in a few flavors for those who can’t eat wheat. Give them a quick call to figure out the options in advance. Also, for those animal lovers out there, there are Pupcakes and Kittycakes, perfect for a furry friend.

South End Buttery

314 Shawmut Ave., Boston 617-482-1015

Feel: Cozy, South End-chic

Price Point: Classic flavor mini, $1.75; big, $3. Specialty flavor mini, $2.45; big, $3.50.

This quaint South End cafe serves up cupcakes using all-natural, organic products. For those who want to play it safe, there’s The Madison (vanilla), The Harriet (carrot cake) and The Simon (chocolate), all named after the owner’s dogs. For the more daring, they also offer specialty cupcakes including a divine chocolate-hazelnut and strawberry shortcake cupcake. If you’re not feeling like having a cupcake, the Buttery also serves brunch and dinner among other cafe items.