Editorial Potpourri

Mamadou Bah would look like any other infant bundled-up tightly riding quietly and content in his stroller while his mother pushed him through the streets of the city in this early autumn. Instead, he is dead and his mother, Hawa Barry, has been left to mourn his murder after a senseless act took his life last February.

Barry was 8 1’#8260;2 months pregnant with Mamadou when she was shot in the stomach, leaving her son with a severely damaged leg and a few last breaths of life. She was riding the Orange Line in early February, on her way home to Lynn, when, allegedly, a shouting match between teens erupted as the train entered the Massachusetts Avenue station. Barry was rushed to Boston Medical Center, but her son died an hour after being delivered by cesarean section.

According to a witness report, Barry, who is a native of Guinea, Africa did not understand the warnings that a gun had been pulled. Andre Green, 19, of the South End, and Chimezie J. Akara, 20, of Roslindale, have been charged with the murder of the unborn child. Next time you’re at the Mass Ave. T stop, say a prayer in whatever way you can for Barry, her family and the little innocent who never got the chance to live. Let’s move on:

* Word is, the residents of Mission Hill petitioned the NU athletic department to choose their entry for the new athletic logo. Instead of the NU Husky bounding over the skyline of Boston, the residents wanted the Husky lifting up a leg and urinating on the skyline of Mission Hill.

* There’s no truth to the rumor that the reason why the glass face of the new 16-story West Village G tower was facing the Fens because President Freeland wanted us to see what a real college is like.

All joking aside, the real reason is, the glass will serve as a magnifying glass which will conduct the sun’s powerful rays and vaporize the BU campus, letting us jump up one spot in the top 100 rankings.

* Did someone say “Top 100 rankings?” Perfect. I heard Northeastern officials thought they had rid themselves of their own 800-pound gorilla when they heard it was roaming the streets of Boston, after the Franklin Park bust. But they came back to earth when they realized we’re still in the third tier.

* There’s no truth to the rumor that the thought of semesters will replace heroin as Northeastern professors drug of choice.

* Speaking of semesters, they suck. The great thing about quarters was professors were forced to touch on all the interesting things. They were “highlight reel” classes. But now professors have all the time in the world to touch on every little detail they find interesting, but nobody else does. I’m wading in minutia.

* Anybody go to the Squash World Championships that were on campus? Me neither.

* Dear SGA: I’m still waiting for the Eminem and Dave Matthews Band concerts you promised me last year.

* It’s no coincidence that two marginalized campus groups, transgender students and students with children, have a hard time getting on-campus housing.

* That loud thud you hear is the hype surrounding our football team.

* There’s no truth to the rumor Northeastern fearsome line backer Liam Ezekiel will be cast in the new movie, “Hulk 2: Bring the Pain.”

* Or the rumor that the disappearance of Northeastern’s $21 million surplus made Big Dig officials chuckle.

* So, a gorilla was roaming the streets of Greater Boston, there were reports of frog eggs raining down from the sky in Connecticut, a Nazi-sympathizer is on the verge of public office in California and the Red Sox caught some breaks in the playoffs. Make amends with your maker, the world is ending.

* Grumpy employees + terrible service + a deteriorating fleet = an MBTA rate hike. It’s simple math people.

* Mayor Thomas Menino said he plans to bring another rent control bill before the city council sometime soon. His past efforts have been defeated by the city council. This particular bill would set up a city board which would hear the appeals of renters who couldn’t afford a hike. Some city councilors are already saying they’ll vote it down when they get the chance. I guess they’re thinking to themselves, “When will those poor huddled masses ever learn?” File that under: Avarice.

-Zach Hosseini can be reached at [email protected].