Crime Log

by John Jamieson, News Correspondent

Tuesday, September 14
10:15 p.m.
A Resident Assistant (RA) in Smith Hall reported the smell of marijuana coming from a room on the third floor. An officer from the Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) found two students, 17 and 18, inside a residence hall room with fans set up to blow air out the window. Both denied they had smoked, but will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, September 15
3:15 a.m.
An NUPD officer saw a 19-year-old with no affiliation to the university riding a bicycle down Forsyth Street carrying several bicycle seats, which she dropped upon seeing the officer. Questioned by the officer, she admitted to stealing the seats and brought the officer to the bicycles, which belonged to a pair of Berklee College of Music students. She will be summoned in Roxbury District Court for larceny.

10 p.m.
A student reported she put her laundry in a machine at 337 Huntington Ave. around 2 p.m., and returned around 8 p.m. to find some of her clothes missing.

Thursday, September 16
3 p.m.
A student reported she left her wallet unattended in the Curry Student Center Ballroom the previous day. When she returned about an hour later, her wallet was missing. It contained around $15, her driver’s license, jewelry and other personal items.

7 p.m.
A student reported she left her cell phone unattended in Snell Library while she walked away to use the printer. About 30 minutes later, when she returned, her phone was gone.

9 p.m.
A student in International Village reported he couldn’t find his wallet. He was unable to remember the last time he’d had it, and the door to his resident hall room was left ajar all day. His wallet contained more than $100 as well as multiple credit cards.

Saturday, September 18
12:15 a.m.
An NUPD officer patrolling Symphony Road saw an 18-year-old student staggering down the road. The officer found her to be heavily intoxicated. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m.
A student called to report a man on Westland Avenue who was trying to attack her brother, who was visiting her. NUPD officers found the suspect, Vander Kelly, 32, of Boston, was intoxicated and had already been evicted from a bar that night. Kelly was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.

5 p.m.
A student was walking down St. Stephen Street with his earphones in when he was approached by a man who demanded he hand over his iPhone. The student ran around the corner and into a store, and was not followed.

8 p.m.
Callers reported a man who appeared homeless undressing on the sidewalk along Columbus Avenue, near Davenport Commons. NUPD officers responded and found the suspect was intoxicated. They also discovered there was an outstanding warrant for the man’s arrest for failure to appear in court for an unrelated battery charge. NUPD arrested Carl Belton, 39.

Sunday, September 19
1:30 a.m.
An RA called to report a intoxicated student vomiting heavily on the second floor of Smith Hall. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

3 a.m.
A caller reported to NUPD that a 19-year-old student had been vomiting for an hour after drinking vodka alone in his West Village A residence hall room. He will be reported to OSCCR.

6 p.m.
An RA reported the smell of marijuana coming from the first floor of Rubenstein Hall. An NUPD officer investigated and traced the smell to a room with two 19-year-old students and a third 19-year-old, who attends another college in the greater Boston area. They admitted to smoking marijuana in their dorm and will be reported to OSCCR.