Crime Log

By John Jamieson, News Correspondent

Monday, Sept. 27

A staff member from Hurtig Hall called to report several laptops stolen from a lab the previous night. There was no evidence of forced entry from the corridor, but there was a broken window in an inner door connecting two of the labs.

7 p.m.

An officer from the Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officer on patrol on The Fenway saw four students, ages 18 to 19, who appeared to be smoking marijuana behind the Back Bay Fens pump house. When questioned by the officer, one of the students claimed to not have smoked. All four will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

A Resident Assistant (RA) in International Village (INV) reported the odor of marijuana coming from a dorm room. An NUPD officer found an 18-year-old student who was suspected of smoking. His bong was confiscated and will be reported to OSCCR.

The manager of the Wollaston’s in the Marino Center called to report two teens not affiliated with the university fleeing the store with a Gatorade and PowerBar without paying, following a brief confrontation with the manager. An NUPD officer who heard the radio call apprehended the suspects on Forsyth Street before they reached Ruggles Station. The manager came and identified the two, ages 15 and 16, and the police contacted their parents and arranged for relatives to pick them up. The two will be summoned to juvenile court.

Tuesday, Sept. 28
11 a.m.

An 18-year-old student reported his backpack missing on Sept. 11. He left the bag in his room for a few hours with the door unlocked. His roommate had a few mutual friends over. When he returned the backpack was gone. Two weeks later the student reported it missing. The pack contained his passport, calculator and some personal papers.

An RA reported the odor of marijuana coming from a room in West Village A. An NUPD officer investigated and found an 18-year-old student suspected of smoking. He was reported to OSCCR.

Wednesday, Sept. 29

Two graduate students from Europe reported that late in the summer they were looking for an apartment on Craigslist.com. They found a suitable location near campus and wired several thousand dollars to a person in Spain as rent for the apartment. When the students arrived in the fall, they discovered there was no such address.

6 p.m.
An NUPD officer saw three 18-year-old students smoking marijuana behind the Back Bay Fens pump house. They were reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, Sept. 30
9 p.m.

An NUPD officer patrolling Huntington Avenue saw a man give a 30-pack of beer to a second man. When the officer questioned the two, he found the first man was a 21-year-old Wentworth Institute of Technology student and the second was a 20-year-old Emerson College student. Both schools were notified, and the Wentworth student will be charged with purchasing alcohol for a minor. The beer was confiscated.

An NUPD officer saw four students smoking marijuana behind the Back Bay Fens pump house. The students, three 18-year-olds and a 17-year-old, were all reported to OSCCR.

An NUPD officer on patrol saw two students smoking marijuana while waiting at a bus stop on Tremont Street. Both students, ages 18 and 19, were reported to OSCCR.

Friday, Oct. 1

A smoke detector went off in a sixth floor room in West Village F. When an NUPD officer arrived, he could smell smoke, but couldn’t see any in the hallway. He knocked on the door of the room, but there was no response. After hearing a cough from inside, the officer retrieved the master key from the Department of Housing and Residential Life and went in. The room was completely filled with smoke, so the officer pulled a fire alarm. There was a student unconscious on the couch, who was dragged by the officer to the hallway. There was also a small fire near the stove, which the officer put out with a fire extinguisher. On top of a lit burner, he found a pan whose bottom had been burned completely through. The officer also noticed evidence of drug use in the room. The student, 19, was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where it was determined that he was intoxicated. He was treated, released and reported to OSCCR. The incident is still under investigation.

Friends of an 18-year-old student called to report he was intoxicated and vomiting heavily on the third floor of INV. When NUPD officers attempted to evaluate his condition, he offered them money to leave him alone. When they refused, he became combative and had to be restrained in the ambulance that brought him to Beth Israel Medical Center. He was reported to OSCCR.

Northeastern University Bookstore staff called to report a 21-year-old student who has repeatedly sold books to the store buyback after shoplifting them. An officer questioned her and the investigation will continue, but the NUPD said they anticipate filing criminal charges on behalf of Barnes & Noble for the theft of more than $1,000 worth of books. She will also be reported to OSCCR.

An NUPD detective returned to West Village F to question the student involved in the Oct. 1 kitchen fire about the evidence of drug use found. The student claimed not to be responsible for it, and his roommate admitted to the drug use. The detective confiscated a small amount of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and some pills of a medication that was not been prescribed to the student. The roommate provided the name of the student that gave him the pills to the NUPD.

A student called to report her Westland Avenue apartment was repeatedly vandalized by objects thrown through the windows. The suspected perpetrators, also students, and NUPD and the Boston Police Department (BPD) are working together on this investigation.

NUPD visited 110 St. Stephen St. as part of an ongoing investigation. When they arrived, they found two students, both age 19, in possession of beer and marijuana. They were reported to OSCCR.

6 p.m.

A 21-year-old student reported he lost his wallet somewhere near the restaurants on Huntington Avenue. His wallet contained $85 and several cards. He called to report his cards missing and discovered someone already tried to use his Husky Card at a dining hall.

An NUPD officer visited 122 St. Stephen St. as part of an ongoing investigation. Upon arriving, the officer found and confiscated a small amount of marijuana and various drug paraphernalia. While the officer was still present, one resident returned to the room with $70 worth he had just purchased, which was also confiscated. The student admitted he frequently purchases marijuana, but doesn’t sell, and occasionally shares with his friends. Because of this sharing, the student may be charged for illegal distribution. All three students, age 19, have been reported to OSCCR.

NUPD officers saw five students, 18, behind the Back Bay Fens pump house. An odor of marijuana was present, but there was not visual proof of the students smoking. All five were reported to OSCCR for suspicion of smoking.

Saturday, Oct. 2

A student called to request help for her friend, 18, who was in the lobby of White Hall too intoxicated to stand. She was drinking that night in Kerr Hall. She was taken by ambulance to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

1 a.m.

A student called to report an 18-year-old student was severely intoxicated in Speare Place. She had been drinking at an off-campus party. She was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital for treatment, as Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center was full. She was reported to OSCCR.

2 a.m.

An NUPD officer on patrol saw two males holding up a 23-year-old female student who was unable to walk by herself. She had been drinking at an off-campus party, and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance.

An NUPD officer saw two students sharing a marijuana blunt behind the Back Bay Fens pump house. For one of them, it was his third marijuana offense in two years. Both were reported to OSCCR.

10 p.m.

An 18-year-old student called to report she was receiving threatening and harassing phone calls from someone. She suspected it was either her former boyfriend, who is attending college in Arkansas, or his 14-year-old brother. NUPD contacted her former boyfriend, who denied making the calls and agreed it could be his younger brother. He called the brother, who admitted to making the calls, demanded he stop harassing the former girlfriend, and apologized on his younger brother’s behalf for the behavior.

Sunday, Oct. 3
1 a.m.

A caller reported an 18-year-old student was exhibiting signs of intoxication and being under the influence of drugs in Smith Hall. NUPD found he had been drinking off-campus and had taken ecstasy. The student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and was reported to OSCCR. He also provided information to NUPD about where he got the ecstasy.

A caller reported an 18-year-old student vomiting in White Hall. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and was reported to OSCCR.

2 a.m.

A 19-year-old student called to request assistance for another 19-year-old student who was intoxicated at 650 Columbus Ave. The student was reported to OSCCR.

Monday, Oct. 4

2 a.m.
An RA reported the odor of marijuana coming from the fourth floor of INV. NUPD officers investigated and found an intoxicated 18-year-old student. They confiscated a small amount of marijuana and a nearly-full large bottle of tequila. The student was reported to OSCCR.