Crime Log

By John Jamieson, News Correspondent

Entry of the week:
Sunday, Oct. 17
4:15 p.m.
An 18-year-old student on the sixth floor of International Village (INV) had his Facebook account hacked when he used another student’s laptop to check his profile but forgot to log out of it. The hacker changed the student’s birthday to Oct. 18, prompting many of his Facebook friends to wish him a happy birthday, even though his birthday isn’t until May. The investigation will continue to identify the culprit.

Tuesday, Oct. 12
1 p.m.
A detective from the Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) visited a 17-year-old Stetson East resident as part of an ongoing drug investigation. During the interview the detective confiscated five bags of marijuana totalling less than one ounce, 12 beers and a 60-ounce handle of vodka. The student will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) and the investigation will continue.

1:15 p.m.
The same NUPD detective visited a Stetson West dorm room to find an 18-year-old student whose name had come up in the previous investigation and found a 60-ounce handle of Jack Daniels. The bottle was confiscated and the student was reported to OSCCR.

1:30 p.m.
An NUPD detective smelled marijuana coming from a parked car in the Columbus Parking Garage. He questioned the car’s occupant, who had no affiliation with the university. The student said he was visiting his girlfriend, a student, and was in her car. The detective found and confiscated two illegal drugs from the car. David Ogara, 20, of Auburn, was arrested on charges of possession of Class B and Class E drugs, Soboxin and Oxycodone. The student returned during the incident, confirmed that Ogara had permission to be in her car, but denied having any knowledge of the drugs found.

8:15 p.m.
Two West Village G residents called to report that their roommate verbally threatened them after a series of disagreements over cleanliness and other living matters. An NUPD officer contacted and interviewed the student and arrangements have been made through OSCCR to split up the roommates.

9:15 p.m.
A White Hall resident called to report that her roommate verbally threatened her. They have been reported to OSCCR and arrangements have been made to separate the two.

Wednesday, Oct. 13
11 p.m.
A Resident Assistant (RA) in Kennedy Hall called to request assistance dealing with three students who appeared to be drinking. An NUPD officer investigated and confirmed this. The students, two 18-year-olds and a 19-year-old, have been reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, Oct. 14
Noon
A student reported her former boyfriend from high school, who she has a restraining order against, had been calling her. He lives in a town outside of Boston and NUPD officers are working with the towns government to ensure that precautions are put in place. Residence hall proctors were told not to allow him into her residence hall.

10 p.m.
An NUPD detective went to White Hall as part of an ongoing drug investigation, but the student he was looking for was not there. Her roommate, 18, was present along with a guest unaffiliated with the university. The detective smelled marijuana and, after investigating, confiscated several grams totaling to less than one ounce as well as some hallucinogenic mushrooms. The guest claimed the drugs were his, though some were found in the roommate’s dresser. NUPD arrested a 17-year-old boy from Needham. The roommate was reported to OSCCR.

Friday, Oct. 15
1:15 a.m.
NUPD officers responded to a call about an 18-year-old Boston University (BU) student who appeared intoxicated wandering aimlessly through Ruggles Station. It was determined that she was under the influence of alcohol, and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. The Boston University Police Department was notified.

11:45 p.m.
A student called to report an intoxicated 17-year-old student who came into her residence hall after drinking off-campus and vomited for 15 minutes. Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) determined the intoxicated student did not need to go to the hospital, but suggested that her floormates keep a close eye on her for the rest of the night. She was reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, Oct. 16
12:30 a.m.
An NUPD officer on patrol on the corner of Westland Avenue and Fenway saw two people holding up a third walking down the street. The officer questioned them and found all three had been drinking. Two were Berklee College of Music students, ages 18 and 20, and the third was a 17-year-old whom the officer believed to be a high school student. The 17-year-old was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

1 a.m.
An RA reported detecting the odor of marijuana on the fifth floor of West Village F. After NUPD knocked, they heard students shuffling before opening the door. Officers saw multiple plastic cups, and confiscated rum and vodka from the refrigerator. The students, one 18-year-old and three 19-year-olds, were reported to OSCCR.

1 a.m.
An NUPD officer found a 19-year-old student unconscious lying in the grass between Cabot and Richards halls. EMTs assessed him and determined he did not need to be taken to the hospital. He was escorted back to his residence hall and will be reported to OSCCR.

1:15 a.m.
An NUPD officer found an 18-year-old student lying in the middle of Forsyth Street in a pool of her own vomit. Several passers-by who stopped to look told the officer that they saw her get out of a taxi, pay the driver and fall down in the road. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and was reported to OSCCR.

3 a.m.
An NUPD officer found a 23-year-old student with her head in her arms on a table in Cabot Court. Officers determined she was heavily intoxicated, but did not require hospitalization. Two officers walked her back to her apartment on Huntington Avenue. She was reported to OSCCR.

6 p.m.
An NUPD officer saw a man aggressively panhandling for money from a woman in Ruggles Station. When the officer questioned the man, he learned the man was homeless and wanted for failure to appear in court for a trespassing offense in Boston. The officer arrested Brian Williams, 48, of Boston.

Sunday, Oct. 17
12:15 a.m.
A proctor in Speare Hall called to report that a man ran into the residence hall without showing any identification. Moments later, a student called to report a drunk person ran into his room and passed out on his roommates bed and vomited multiple times. Officers arrived, and woke up the man, a 19-year-old student who lives in an off-campus residence. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. The officers called custodians to clean and disinfect the room.

12:45 a.m.
An RA called to report a noisy group on the fourth floor of Bernstein Hall. An NUPD officer arrived and knocked on the door. After some scrambling, students opened the door and the officer saw plastic cups throughout the room and had guests leave. Empty beer was found around the room, in addition to a 30-pack of mostly unopened beers. The students were reported to OSCCR.

1 a.m.
A caller reported seeing a disorderly group pass by the benches outside Kerr Hall and heard a windshield shatter immediately after. The group then went into Kennedy Hall. With the proctor’s help, NUPD officers were able to find and identify the members of the group. They were uncooperative and several lied when asked who came from where and who had just signed in. Others hid in bedrooms and closets. After interviewing students one-on-one, NUPD officers figured out which student they believe is most likely to have smashed the windshield. The 18-year-old Kennedy Hall resident was intoxicated. He was reported to OSCCR and will be summoned to court.

2:45 a.m.
A 21-year-old student in Bernstein Hall called to report her 19-year-old roommate assaulted her while she was asleep in bed. NUPD officers came over, but the roommate had left. Once contacted, she returned to speak with the officer. She admitted to the assault and NUPD arrested Carly Scharf, 19, of New Jersey. While she was being booked, police found several fake IDs in her name. She was reported to OSCCR as well as the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Update: The charges against Scharf were dropped Nov. 18, 2010.

5 p.m.
A 19-year-old student reported her laptop missing from Davenport A over the weekend. She left campus Friday and returned Sunday afternoon to find it missing. Two of her roommates were questioned, but they said they had no knowledge of the theft. The third roommate was unavailable. The investigation will continue.