Carly Lind is a ‘HotMess’

By Erica Thompson, News Correspondent

Local pop artist Carly Lind might be a mess, but at least she’s a hot one. Or at least that’s what she says in her recently released music video, “HotMess,” which generated more than 22,000 views on YouTube in less than three weeks – it’s creating quite a stir in the Boston college-aged community.

Northeastern student Andrew Zenn, a middler business marketing major, and Northeastern grad Derek Adams helped with the production of the video for Lind, 19, a former Berklee College of Music student.

Lind’s already popular YouTube channel took a tremendous leap after her first music video release, Zenn said, the producer of the video.

“Carly’s got it down to an art,” Zenn said. “She’s like the social media queen. She knows how to work people and how to get someone’s attention.”

The techno-pop song incorporates dancing, classic college party scenes and some local joints that Boston viewers may recognize, like cuts of downtown and a local Boloco. Wearing see-through lace tops, Lind sings about alcohol and partying.

“Can’t cut me off ’cause I got a backup flask in my pocket,” she sings. “You should never underestimate a blackout.”

But people have critiqued Lind for writing a song that, in essence, promotes under-aged drinking and promiscuity.

“Carly, not a hater but PLEASE think about the message you’re sending to young girls about getting drunk? Hope your next vid [has] a better message,” wrote YouTube user Brchsun in the comments section for the video.

“Slurring words is sexy especially when you do it right,” she sings. “Everyone’s expecting me to throw it up tonight. But the only thing I’m throwing up is gang signs ’cause I’m such a baller.”

Others on YouTube relate her style to pop singer Ke$ha, claiming her material is not original.

“What happens is that people say it’s already been done, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. There’s no such thing as bad publicity,” Zenn said.

A lot of viewers, however, are supportive of the release.

Christina Pagano, a middler business marketing and management major, showed the video to her friend, Jeanne Shotzbarger, in honor of her 21st birthday earlier this month.

“I think its the perfect description of college life,” Shotzbarger, a middler finance management major, said. “I guess we’ve all had nights like that and she put it all together.”

Zenn, Lind and Adams started working on the video at the end of August, Zenn said. Adams crafted the beats and lyrics for “HotMess,” and proposed the song to Lind. Adams and Zenn, already acquaintances, agreed to produce the video.

“I like the song, but that wasn’t the reason why I decided to work on this project,” Zenn said. “I’ve had a lot of experience making commercials and movies, and things along those lines, but this was the first music video I’ve ever made.”

Adams, Zenn and Lind met for two weeks before shooting the video, Zenn said.

“The video took about a week, and the post-production [editing] took just over a month.”

“HotMess” production costs totaled less than $1,000; Zenn already had much of the needed equipment from his experience on other projects. In addition to his film work, Zenn also has his own web design company called Zenn Media Group.

Some of Zenn’s past projects include commercials for Tide, Old Spice, Axe and Coca-Cola, and a mini-web series titled “Under Class,” a comedy about college life.

Given “HotMess’” and Lind’s success, Zenn said he is enthusiastic about the trio’s opportunities for the future.

“I’m planning to work with Derek and Carly again,” Zenn said. “We’re actually planning a new video for Carly, something more in her vocal range. It’ll probably be acoustic, so I’m looking forward to that. But really, be watching for her. Carly — she’ll make it.”

–Marian Daniells, News Staff, contributed to this report.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jiJBL1XHMk[/youtube]