Women’s Hockey: Huskies skate to two overtime ties

News Staff Photo/Laura Pond

By: Amanda Devaney, News Correspondent

The women’s hockey team couldn’t find the win column this weekend, or the loss column either, for that matter.

The Huskies battled the University of Maine Black Bears to two overtime ties this weekend: a 0-0 tie Thursday and a 2-2 tie Friday.

“This weekend wasn’t necessarily our best showing” sophomore forward Casey Pickett said. “Overtime didn’t really help us out, but I think we played well under the pressure.”

With the pair of draws, the Huskies move to 7-2-4 on the season, and 1-1-3 in Hockey East play.

In Friday’s game, the Huskies commanded a 2-0 lead after Pickett scored her third goal of the season a minute into the third period.

“It was nice to pop one in for the team to give us a two goal lead,” Pickett said. “I wish we could have held onto [the lead] but we did well.”

Ten minutes later, the Black Bears responded with a goal of their own, cutting the deficit in half. Sixteen second later, Maine forward Danielle Ward lit the lamp again, knotting the game 2-2.

The Huskies outshot the Black Bears 2-1 in overtime, but did not manage a score.

“Obviously, overtime is always pressure time for the goalie, because once the other team scores a goal the game is over and you lose,” junior goaltender Florence Schelling said. “I am a pretty experienced goalie so it doesn’t really bother me as much anymore, but I have to continue to stay 100 percent focused on the game, especially in overtime, otherwise it’s not going to end well.”

In the first game against Maine, the Huskies outshot the Black Bears 36-19, but couldn’t take advantage of the opportunities.

Freshman forward Katie MacSorley registered a total of seven shots on net. MacSorley had a golden scoring opportunity as she wrapped the puck around the net and passed it directly into the crease, where sophomore forward Siena Falino deflected the pass towards the goal. However, Black Bear goalie Brittany Ott, did not hesitate to block the shot, keeping the score leveled.

Schelling stopped a total of 33 shots over the weekend, and ranks fourth in the Hockey East, allowing just 1.77 goals per game.

“Flo’s great,” Pickett said. “I mean it’s well known by pretty much everyone that she’s the backbone of our team.

Schelling had a streak of two straight shutouts going into Friday’s game, after recording one in Thursdays draw.

The Huskies return to action Saturday when they travel to Providence College to take on the Friars at 2 p.m.