Chef comes to Xhibition

By: Aida Velazquez

News Photo: Aida Velazquez-Santiago

Aromas of fresh citrus and fish circumvented Northeastern’s Xhibition Kitchen last Wednesday when Chef Darren Carbone came in to show how to prepare a dish that has ties to his own cultural roots in Latin America.

Carbone came to Northeastern’s Xhibition Kitchen Jan. 26 in an event co-sponsored by the Latino/a Student Cultural Center (LSCC) and Dining Services.

The demonstration revolved around ceviche, raw fish marinated in citrus juice. The acids from the citrus juices change the structure of the proteins in the fish, “cooking” the fish in its own way without heat.

In doing this, the protein gets acidulated and denatured. The process also kills any harmful bacteria that may be in the fresh seafood.

“It’s about the fish and not what you are doing to it,” Carbone said.

He stressed the fact that the fresher the fish, the better the ceviche. In ceviche the fish is cut into long thin slices; Carbone said it is important to use a sharp knife to preserve the integrity of the fish.

During the hour-and-a-half-long presentation, Carbone showed the audience how to make ceviche in three non-traditional ways.

The first was shrimp cocteles, made out of charred red peppers, a tomato and avocado puree and red onions, garnished with fresh plantain chips.

Next came a red snapper ceviche. He chose this particular fish because it is affordable and readily available to college students. This dish consists of seasonal red and yellow beats, shaved jalapenos and red onions marinated in an orange citrus with agave nectar and morita chile salt.

The final plate was a Salmon Ceviche, served in an aji Amarillo (a South American hot yellow pepper) and scallop mayonnaise with a green apple and pepita salad.

“The food was great,” said Brian Muñoz, a middler physical therapy major. “The presentation was interactive, similar to the Food Network’s style.”

As the executive chef of La Verdad Taqueria Mexicana on Landsdowne Street, Carbone is helping redesign the future of Mexican cuisine, according to the NU Dining website. He was born in Colombia and adopted and raised by an Italian-American family when he was two weeks old.

After graduating from the Culinary Institue of America, he relocated to Boston, where he specialized in cooking Italian and French food at restaurants including Hamersey’s Bistro, a French restaurant in Boston. He relocated to Philadelphia and fell in love with Latin cuisine while a sous chef at El Vez restaurant. He served as executive chef at both El Vez and Alma de Cuba, another Philadelphia Latin-American restaurant. He worked at El Vez until he decided to return to Boston and work at La Verdad.

Although he did not start off making Latin cuisine, Carbone said he feels a strong connection with Latin food because of his own cultural roots.

“Mexican food speaks to me,” Carbone said. “You don’t eat with your mouth, you eat with your eyes.”

The presentation was well-received by students and sponsors alike.

“It was a success,” said Rebecca Veira, assistant director of the LSCC. “A good representation of Mexican heritage.”