Northeastern Recognized for Student-Athlete Participation in Olympic Games

By Katie Zigelman, News Staff

Northeastern became one of 41 schools nationwide to receive the US Olympic Achievement Award June 17 at a convention in Orlando, Fla.

This award was created this year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), the US Olympics Committee (USOC) and the US National Governing Bodies for Sport (NGBS) to recognize colleges and universities whose athletes and coaches have won Olympic medals.

The award this year recognized 28 student athletes and 38 coaches who contributed to American medal success at both the 2008 Beijing and 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games. Northeastern is the only Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) school to be recognized and one of only two Hockey East schools, Boston College being the other.

Northeastern Athletics Director Peter Roby said he is pleased and appreciative of the new award.

“It feels great to be one of the 41 schools honored in this way,” Roby said. “For many athletes and coaches, competing in the Olympic Games representing your country, family and school is the ultimate achievement. I was extremely proud to learn of our selection.”

Northeastern received the award because of women’s ice hockey head coach Dave Flint’s participation in the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games where he helped the US women’s ice hockey team win a silver medal, serving as an assistant coach.

Flint said the award as something that both he and the school can be proud of.

“I was surprised, I didn’t know about the award until Peter Roby told me, but I am honored and glad that the school got the recognition,” Flint said.

Flint became a part of the Olympic staff in 2005, and became the goaltending coach and advisor for the women’s national program in 2008. Under his coaching, Team USA goalies earned an impressive 1.58 goals against average and the team won the gold medal at the 2008 World Championship in Harbin, China. Flint was also an assistant coach to the US select team which participated in the 4 Nations Cup in 2009.

Flint said that if the opportunity became available in the future, coaching at the national level is not something that he would rule out. If that opportunity does come up, Flint would have the support of Roby.

“I definitely support our coaches and athletes desire to pursue their dreams of competing in the Olympic Games or on their national teams,” Roby said. “They can learn from other coaches or players, which makes them better when they return, and it is wonderful exposure for the program they represent and Northeastern.”

The award will now be presented every two years following the Olympic Games. To earn an award, a college or university must have either a current athlete that is part of an Olympic medal-winning performance or a coach who is a credentialed member of the US Olympic Team delegation and his or her athlete or team must win a medal. So, while Northeastern has produced Olympic-caliber athletes in the past, (like Florence Schelling of Switzerland) it should be noted that the athlete must be of American origin to qualify Northeastern for the award.

Northeastern, and all other schools who earned this award, received two different versions of the US Olympic Achievement Award. The first is a medal presented to the athletics director and the second is a presentation piece to be showcased in the Cabot Center.