Crime Log

By Jenna Duncan, News Staff

Thursday, July 8

1 p.m.

A student reported a man cut a cable lock off a bicycle outside of International Village (IV), rode down Columbus Avenue and threw the cable lock into the bushes. Police recovered the lock, but not the bicycle.

7:30 p.m.

A student reported she left her suitcase in the lobby of Robinson Hall for about an hour while she attended a presentation. When she returned, the suitcase was gone.

Friday, July 9

1:30 a.m.

A proctor in West Village G reported a disorderly student, 20, in the lobby. The student left his wallet at a friend’s apartment and had no ID to enter the building with. The student began punching a wall, threw his cell phone at the ground and stormed out of the building. When he returned, he said he had been drinking and was upset because LeBron James signed with the Miami Heat. He was reported to the Office of Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Monday, July 12

11 a.m.

A hockey coach reported that when he entered his office after the weekend, he found his flat screen television, which was mounted on the wall, laying on the floor. A camcorder and DVDs containing footage of games and practices missing. There were no signs of forced entry.

Tuesday, July 13

1 p.m.

A caller reported a man throwing water jugs into the street from an apartment on Westland Avenue. Police found a student who said he was throwing the jugs down the stairs into the street. Police asked him to stop.

1:30 p.m.

A student reported she left her purse unattended on the fourth floor of Snell Library for about 10 minutes, and when she returned, it was missing. It contained about $200, credit cards, her passport and Blackberry.

1:30 p.m.

A student reported he left his backpack unattended on the third floor of Snell Library for about 20 minutes and returned to find the backpack gone. It contained a book and a cell phone.

6:30 p.m.

An NUPD officer in Snell Library saw a man viewing inappropriate content on a university computer. Upon questioning the officer found the man, who was not affiliated with the university, was wanted on five arrest warrants for larceny, assault and battery, vandalism, robbery and breaking and entering. When the officer informed Eddie Smith, 20, of Dorchester, that he would be arrested, Smith ran through the library quad and was caught. He continued to aggressively resist arrest, but did not injure himself or the officers. He was additionally charged with trespassing and resisting arrest.

11 p.m.

An NUPD officer on Huntington Avenue saw a man he had previously arrested for trespassing on campus. The man, Carlos Carrion, 46, of Cambridge, had failed to appear in court and was arrested for that outstanding warrant and another warrant for breaking and entering a vehicle in Somerville.

NUPD and BPD responded to a report of a man holding a knife in a tree on Westland Avenue. When police questioned the man, another man leaned out of a nearby window to leave him alone. BPD officers recognized the two from an earlier domestic dispute, and took jurisdiction.

Wednesday, July 14

11 p.m.

A man unaffiliated with the university reported he left his laptop bag in a public restroom in the Marino Center, where he stopped to get dinner earlier in the evening. When he returned, the bag was missing.

Thursday, July 15

12 p.m.

A student in West Village C reported she left a bracelet in her room earlier in the day, and when she returned, found it in the living room. She suspected her new roommate moved it, but the roommate said she had the same bracelet and it was hers in the living room. The boyfriends of the students and a third roommate became involved in the dispute, which continued for over an hour before the student called NUPD. The investigation is ongoing, though police confirmed that both girls owned the same bracelet. The student who reported the incident has since moved.

Saturday, July 17

2 a.m.

An officer reported an argument on Camden Street between four students, two men, both 22-year-old students, and a man, 24, and a woman, 22. The two 22-year-old men allegedly made a comment toward the woman. The 24-year-old responded, and began a verbal argument that led to physical altercation involving all parties. All were drinking before the altercation, and all will be reported to OSCCR.

5:30 p.m.

A student reported her bicycle stolen from a post at the corner of Huntington Avenue and Opera Place. She had locked it at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, and found the bicycle and cable lock missing at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

Sunday, July 18

1:30 a.m.

A caller reported seeing people climb the fence shielding construction at 10 St. Stephen Street. When officers responded, they found three male students on the roof, who said they wanted to have a beer and enjoy the view. The students have been reported to OSCCR, and university officials haven’t decided if they will press charges.

3 a.m.

An NUPD officer inside Ruggles Station saw a man walk onto the commuter rail platform. When the officer asked the man to come back, the man ran into the tracks. The officer paged backup from the Massachusetts Avenue station, and arrested Spencer Johnson, 20, of Boston, for trespassing. NUPD officers found cans of spray paint in his backpack, and suspect he was planning on vandalizing public property.

3:30 p.m.

While walking down Columbus Avenue, two students saw two teenagers on a bicycle. The bicycle looked like one that had been stolen from one of the students earlier in the day. The two students approached the teens, took the bicycle and said they were calling the police. The teens ran away, and the bicycle was found to belong to the student.

10 p.m.

Two students attending a summer program at the university reported that a man approached them in Krentzman Quad, grabbed a clutch purse from one of the students, and ran. The purse contained $100 and credit cards.

Monday, July 19

12:15 a.m.

A man walked while screaming on Parker Street between West Village A and West Village H. Fernando Carrion, 49 and homeless, was questioned and arrested on an outstanding warrant for drug possession.

7 a.m.

An employee entering the food service office at 106 St. Stephen St. found a naked man smelling of alcohol on a couch in the common area. The man had his pants around his ankles and a bag with other clothing in it. When police woke him, he said he had no recollection of getting there. Willie Perretti, 50, was arrested for trespassing and indecent exposure.

8:30 a.m.

An officer in Renaissance Park garage noticed a car with an expired license plate. After running the plates, it was found that the car had been reported stolen a year ago, and belongs to a student.

7:15 p.m.

While walking across the street from Melvin Hall, a student reported she was approached from behind from two teens on bicycles who took her cell phone from her hand and pushed her to the ground. The teens have not been found.