Crime Log

by Jenna Duncan, News Staff

Tuesday, July 20

8 a.m.

A proctor in International Village (IV) reported a man was sleeping in a basement classroom. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers found the man, who was previously banned from campus, in the bathroom. He was issued a final trespass ban and left campus.

12 p.m.

An incoming student at orientation realized his wallet fell out of his pocket in Blackman Auditorium. When he returned he found his ID near the seat, but his wallet, containing $20 and a credit card, was missing.

6 p.m.

A person who parked in Renissance Parking Garage found a car window broken, but nothing missing. A student found a window broken in his car as well, and an iPod and sunglasses missing.

Wednesday, July 21

12:30 a.m.

An NUPD officer saw two teenagers on bicycles near the West Village quad pulling another bicycle with a missing seat. When the teens saw the officer, they dropped the seatless bike and fled.

2 a.m.

A student reported her bicycle stolen from outside Snell Library, where she left it locked around 9 p.m.

Thursday, July 22

1 a.m.

A former student reported her mo-ped missing from the Snell Library Quad, where she parked it around 5 p.m. Around the same time, a custodian in Snell Library called NUPD to say there were people acting suspiciously in an alley by Snell Library. When officers responded, they found the mo-ped in the alley with damage to the ignition.

2 a.m.

A 20-year-old student knocked on the door of an apartment that was not his in West Village B, walked in and got into a bed. He appeared to be intoxicated, and soon left. When officers found him, he said he went into the wrong apartment. He will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

4:45 p.m.

A staff member reported he parked his vehicle in the Columbus Parking Lot at 8 a.m., and when he returned, a window of his car was broken and a GPS system was missing from the vehicle.

Friday, July 23

3:30 p.m.

An NUPD officer saw a man urinate in the Camden parking lot. The man, Walter Ashford, 56 and homeless, had an outstanding warrant for failing to register as a sex offender and was arrested.

7:30 p.m.

A student called to report that while her roommate was out of town for a week, her male friend of stayed in the apartment without the student’s permission. The friend used the absent roommate’s ID to gain access to the building. After the ID was cancelled, the male was signed into the building by other residents. When contacted, the student’s roommate apologized and said her friend was visiting from out of town and needed a place to stay. She will be referred to OSCCR.

Saturday, July 24

1:15 a.m.

Students reported an aggressive panhandler asking for money outside of West Village F. He was arrested previously for the same thing, but was let off with a warning this time. He will be summoned for trespassing.

8 p.m.

A student walking to her off-campus apartment was approached by a man asking for a cigarette. When she said she didn’t have one, he made lewd comments and tried to grab her. When she left her apartment a few hours later, she saw the man again and called to report him. When police arrived, the man had left.

9 p.m.

An officer on Gainsborough Street saw a student walking down the street drinking a beer. She dropped the can when she saw the officer, and was very apologetic. She will be reported to OSCCR.

9:30 p.m.

A student reported she locked her bicycle outside Snell Library around 11 a.m. and when she returned, the bicycle and cable lock were gone.

Tuesday, July 27

10:30 a.m.

The manager of Wollaston’s in Marino Center detained a 16-year-old shoplifting candy. The teen was expelled from the summer program he was attending on campus.

5:45 p.m.

An officer on bike behind Douglass Park heard a motor vehicle collision and saw an accident on Tremont Street involving a hearing-impaired pregnant woman. As the officer tended to the woman, a crowd of young men began to yell at the other driver. When Boston Police Department (BPD) officers responded with an ambulance, the group continued to interfere. A BPD officer arrested a particularly rowdy man. Another member of the group began to yell at the officer, made threatening movements, and was stopped by an NUPD officer. Both men were arrested by BPD, and an NUPD officer sprained his knee in the incident.

8 p.m.

The manager of Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported a male shoplifted and ran away. NUPD officers found the man, who is not affiliated with the university, near the Forsyth Building. He admitted he was on his way home from playing basketball and had no money, so he tried to steal a bottle of Gatorade. When he noticed the manager, he threw the bottle, unopened, and ran. He is banned from Wollaston’s.

Wednesday, July 28

9 a.m.

A student reported she was receiving a large number of text messages, some with obscene images, from a blocked phone number. NUPD is investigating.

Thursday, July 29

10:30 a.m.

The manager of Wollaston’s in the Marino Center detained a male who had a whole bag of health and beauty aids he stole from the store to sell on the street.

12 p.m.

A student reported he left his backpack unattended for half an hour on the fourth floor of Snell Library. An NUPD officer found the backpack, close to where the student was sitting, missing two LSAT preparation textbooks. Another student approached the officer and reported her purse was stolen on the third floor of the library after she left it unattended for a few minutes. The officer found the purse, but her wallet, which contained foreign currency and credit cards, was missing.

3:30 p.m.

An NUPD officer saw a person throw a brick at a car window on Camden Street. The officer detained the suspect until BPD officers arrived.

Friday, July 30

6:45 a.m.

An employee working out in the Marino Center told staff two men made unwanted passes at her for the second time that week. A Marino Center employee called NUPD, and identified the men as Boston residents who were using the facilities. Both have been banned from Marino Center.

11:30 a.m.

A caller reported a woman with no affiliation to the university sleeping on a sofa in Curry Student Center for several hours. The woman was issued a trespassing ban.

12 p.m.

Staff from the Marino Center called NUPD after a fight broke out between two students during a basketball game. When officers responded, the fight ended and neither student wanted to press charges. Both will be reported to OSCCR.

1 p.m.

A student reported his laptop was stolen from his backpack, which he was near for the entirety of his time in Snell Library. He said he was reading and not paying close attention.

5 p.m.

A student attending a summer program at the university reported he could not find his cell phone.

Saturday, July 31

12:15 a.m.

A proctor in West Village F reported an intoxicated student trying to gain entry into the building with her debit card. When the proctor opened the door for another student, the intoxicated one followed. She gave the proctor her roommate’s name when asked to identify herself. Another student then tried to get into the building with a credit card, and snuck in. Both women were in the same room, and will be reported to OSCCR though police are unsure of their proper identities.

2 a.m.

An officer found a man laying in the grass by Kariotis Hall heavily intoxicated. He was identified as a 20-year-old student, and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He will be reported to OSCCR.

4 a.m.

BPD arrested Greg McCrossan, 19, of Boston, for tagging the front of 319 Huntington Ave. and the granite Northeastern University sign outside the Marino Center.

Sunday, August 1

6:30 p.m.

An officer in Curry Student Center found a woman sleeping on a couch. She refused to give her entire name, was escorted off campus and issued a trespassing warning.