University plans renovations, upgrades for summer

Construction workers will renovate and upgrade several key spaces at Northeastern this summer, including Speare Hall and the Curry Student Center.

In Speare, crews will remodel restrooms and lounges and bring in new furniture, university spokeswoman Renata Nyul said in an email to The News. She did not provide further details about the planned work.

Marina Macomber, assistant vice president of student affairs, explained in an email sent in early May to all full-time students that offices on the ground floor of Speare will be temporarily relocated during the summer. The ResNet office will operate out of Smith Hall, Macomber said, and ResMail has moved to 716 Columbus Ave.

Other groups, including Housing and Residential Life and Co-op Connections, will work in the first floor of Stetson East, she said.

“All offices will be able to provide you with our full services during our relocation, and all phone numbers for staff in these areas will remain the same,” Macomber told students. “We anticipate returning to Speare Hall in August.”

The dining area of CSC will see new food vendors and upgrades this summer too, Nyul said. The proposed renovation of the student center was a flashpoint for the university in the spring, due to a proposal to bring a Chick-fil-A branch to Northeastern. Some students and faculty protested the fast food chain, saying it supported anti-gay efforts that could have alienated some students and should not have been supported by tuition funds.

Some other spots around campus that are under construction this summer include:
-West Village F: Current construction will end and a new visitor’s center will open.
-Kariotis Hall: Workers will paint the building and lay new carpet.
-Fenway Center: Crews will work on the air conditioning system.
-Mugar Life Sciences Building: Workers will upgrade the roof.
-International Student and Scholar Institute: The office in Ell Hall will be renovated and ISSI has temporarily relocated to the second floor of Kerr Hall until August.