Third-year Northeastern computer science, psychology student dies, school says

Griffin Loranger, a third-year Northeastern student on the Boston campus from Maine, passed away April 15, according to school officials and an obituary made public online. He was 21 years old.

Loranger was pursuing a combined degree in computer science and cognitive psychology and participated in research and global opportunities throughout his time at Northeastern, according to an April 17 email statement from Dean of Khoury College of Computer Sciences Elizabeth Mynatt.

“Our community mourns this loss,” Mynatt wrote in the email sent to students on the Boston campus. “Griffin will be missed dearly.”

Loranger “loved conducting research” at the College of Science’s Kwon Research Lab for Low Vision and Brain Research. He also had a passion for history, which he channeled into a Dialogue of Civilizations in London, according to the email statement.

Loranger also worked at Sappi, a paper and forest product manufacturing company, as an IT Projects Intern, a position that exemplified his “technical prowess and computing talents,” Mynatt wrote in the email.

Outside of academics and work, Loranger was involved with Northeastern’s Athletic Department as a camera operator for Division I sporting events. He was also a member of NUTV, a video production club on campus, and played mahjong in a student club, according to friends who posted on the obituary site.

“He joined NUTV during his freshman year and was involved in projects across departments,” a message sent in the NUTV Slack read. “His dynamic personality and sense of humor contributed much joy and laughter to the NUTV community.”

Mynatt said confidential counseling is available for Northeastern students and staff coping with the loss of Loranger through University of Health and Counseling Services; the Center for Spirituality, Dialogue, and Service; and WeCare.

Kristina DaPonte
Kristina DaPonte, Lifestyle Editor
Kristina DaPonte is a third-year journalism major with a minor in communication studies. She is the deputy lifestyle editor for The News as well as a contributor to Spectrum Literary Arts Magazine. She's excited to bring exciting, engaging stories to the table. Follow her @dapontekristina on Twitter for updates.
Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.