Halloween Trends of 2012

By Derrick Warren, News Staff

Northeastern students prepare for Halloween at Dorothy’s on Massachusetts Avenue, buying the latest trends for this year’s costumes.

To celebrate the end of midterms students are closing their books for a holiday that’s irresistible – Halloween, and this year students are wasting little time coming up with not one, but two costumes that will put last year’s to shame.

Many of the trends from 2011 had students dressed as Harry Potters, Black Swans and Avatars, but as Halloween approaches the costumes that have made the list for 2012 have students excited to be seen in something better than police officer or princess.

On Oct. 31, Boston could easily be mistaken for the nation’s capital with all the President Obamas and Mitt Romneys that will likely be running around. With the presidential election less than two weeks away, some students are deciding to show their support for their candidate early. The Obama and Romney costumes are simple, easy and sure to get a couple of laughs.

Some students might think that characters from blockbuster movies like “The Hunger Games” or “Batman” are more suitable. There are tons of opportunities to dress up as Katniss Everdeen or Batman himself, students can start by checking out Iparty on Boylston Street, where these two costumes are in high demand.

Students drawn more to the television side of pop culture can draw inspiration from  Alana, a.k.a. “Honey Boo Boo,” and her free spirited mother for costume ideas.

“I definitely think everyone’s going to be Honey Boo Boo, and ‘Toddlers and Tiaras’ this year,” Chelsea Clark, a junior physical therapy major, said.

Besides a sparkly dress and a crown, all that’s needed for a perfect Honey Boo Boo is some go-go juice, her favorite drink. Another way to spice up toddler costumes is to be Sophia Grace and Rossie, the Nicki Minaj superfans from The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Just grab two tiaras and tutus large enough to fit.

As if finding one perfect costume wasn’t enough trouble, Halloween happens to fall on a Wednesday this year, which means two weekends and more looks for more parties. No one wants to show up in the same costume twice, which is why Braxton Bridgers, a sophomore international affairs major, said he plans on being a panda dressed in a panda suit and Fin from the Cartoon Network show “Adventure Time.”

“I chose my costumes because they’re attention grabbers. I feel like for Halloween you should go all out, not necessarily spend a lot of money but create a look that’s going to set you apart,” Bridgers said.

Jada Turner, a junior business major, plans on taking the functional route for her costumes. Although she hasn’t decided what she’s going to be exactly, she’s thinking about something Army-related because it’s a classic.

Turner also thinks that she’ll have to find more than one costume, something that’s still fun but less extravagant.

“It’s like a trend, a lot of people I know are going to switch up their costumes. Some plan on having multiple costumes for parties, but no more than three max,” Turner said.

Some students like Amber Cross, an undeclared freshman, have put a lot of thought into their costumes in order to save money. She plans on dressing up as Cleopatra and a cheetah this holiday, two other functional outfits that aren’t quite history yet.

“I just worked with what I had in my closet, it was easy once I found the right accessories,” Cross said.

While students are putting the final touches on their outfits, there still remain some costumes that are overdone and show lack of effort.

“Enough with the Jasons, Mike Myers, Freddy Kruegers those shouldn’t even exist anymore,” Vladimir Samedi, a middler communications major said.

This year the costumes that should be added to the list of don’ts are: witches, Disney characters and scream masks according to students. Halloween is something that all college students look forward to, and the best part is the ridiculous costumes. If students haven’t started planning for one yet the time to start is now.