King Husky’s Bark: Women’s hockey deserves your attention

This has been a disappointing season so far for Northeastern hockey fans. The men’s hockey team started off with big wins against Merrimack College and Boston College, but has since regressed to 5-8-1. The good news is that the women’s hockey team has played well with a 9-5-2 record so far this season.

Women’s hockey is very different from men’s hockey. The biggest difference is that there is no checking allowed. While many hockey fans like the game because of the big hits, the ban on checking in women’s hockey results in a different type of sport. The women have to use more speed, maneuverability, and puck handling than the men do. Also, when they set up on offense, they are able to spend more time maneuvering for good positions. They can take the puck behind the net without getting hit. They are also able to wheel around more to try to get clean shots at the net. In contrast, men’s hockey involves being much more physical. Defenders are expected to hit opposing offenses to slow them down, and it is typical to see lots of hits, either as skaters are in the middle of the ice or as they are trying to bring the puck in along the sideboards.

The other major difference between men’s and women’s hockey is the way teams use the offensive zone. In men’s hockey, players are more likely to pass the puck around the offensive zone, and the defenders will try taking slap shots from the blue line to try to generate rebounds. In women’s hockey, the shots come from closer to the net. Players can try to get in closer before shooting without getting hit like they would in men’s hockey. Players can also skate around the offensive zone with the puck themselves. They don’t have to pass it as quickly since defenses can’t hit them to force a turnover.

The Huskies women’s hockey team has played well this season. They are led by sophomore Kendall Coyne, who is following an impressive freshman year with another great one. She has 14 goals and 15 assists in 14 games, and has the ability to speed by other defenders. She works with Casey Pickett, who has 12 goals and 10 assists in 16 games.
Northeastern is averaging 3.8 goals per game, while letting up 2.2 goals per game. Their starting goalie, sophomore Chloe Desjardins, has had a tough job replacing Florence Schelling. However, she already has three shutouts this year and has a .921 save percentage.

Three of Northeastern’s four losses have come against BC and Boston University, who are currently the first and second best team in the conference. Although it would have been great to win one of those games, BU is ranked 3rd in the nation and BC is ranked 5th or 6th depending on the poll. BC beat the Huskies by two goals in the first game, and one in the second, so Northeastern can stay with them. Within the conference, Northeastern has the second most goals scored with 42, and is tied for the fewest goals against with 26.

Northeastern’s season in women’s hockey has a bright outlook. They started off strong, and while they have slowed down a little recently, they could be looking at making a deep Hockey East playoff run.

Women’s and men’s hockey are very different games. Women’s hockey is a game of speed and agility, while men’s hockey is a game more about power. All hockey fans should check out a women’s game this year. While it is a different type of hockey than most people are used to, it’s still hockey.

– Chris Judd can be reached at [email protected]