Northeastern Crime Log

By By Tara Turner, News Correspondent

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, January 27
The manager at Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported that he was detaining a student who had shoplifted several food items. The manager said he had suspected her of shoplifting on previous occasions and watched her closely after she came into the store. She will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). The manager has decided to press criminal charges and she will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court.

Wednesday, January 28
5 p.m.
Two students in Willis Hall reported they both had their iPods and cell phones stolen the previous Saturday night while they were hosting a party. Another roommate had non-student guests who the students suspect of stealing their belongings. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) are investigating the case.

Friday, January 30
A student reported that she left her purse and laptop unattended on the first floor of Snell Library for about 30 minutes and both were missing when she returned. An officer who had been in the library had noticed the purse unattended and after the owner did not return, took it and turned it into the lost and found. NUPD returned the purse to the student but her laptop has not been found.

2 p.m.
A caller reported loud noise and the odor of marijuana coming from an apartment at 116 St. Stephen Street. An NUPD officer spoke to the student who initially denied smoking marijuana but eventually gave them three small bags of marijuana and a pipe. The amount of marijuana was less than an ounce, so no criminal charges will be pressed, but she will be reported to OSCCR.

5 p.m.
A student reported that he left his iPod on a bench in the Marino Center while playing basketball for about an hour. When he returned, it was missing.

10 p.m.
A proctor reported an unconscious and intoxicated young male in the lobby of Speare Hall. No students knew who he was, but police found a high school ID in his wallet. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. NUPD is attempting to contact his family and will request that he does not return to campus in the future.

Saturday, January 31

4 a.m.

An officer on patrol in the alley behind Smith Hall heard items dropping onto the street. He saw people in a fourth floor apartment window at 80 The Fenway laughing and throwing things out the window, aiming for a pick-up truck parked below. They were throwing bottles of mustard, salad dressing and other food items. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety officers called the Boston Police Department because it is a privately owned building and discovered that four Northeastern students live there. They also found bottle tops in the apartment that matched the bottles thrown onto the truck. The students will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court and NUPD contacted the owner of the pick-up truck.

The manager of Wollaston’s in West Village reported seeing a person shoplift a sandwich. An officer stopped him outside the store. He was identified as a male student and will be reported to OSCCR. The manager decided not to press charges.

4 p.m.
Parents of a student who lives in West Village reported that the rear window of their car had been broken and a laptop had been stolen. Their car had been parked at the corner of Huntington Avenue and Parker Street.

Boston Police Department (BPD) officers requested assistance on St. Stephen Street after an intoxicated person refused to get out of a taxi. Police identified him as a Northeastern alumnus. BPD was willing to give him a break and call an ambulance, but he became belligerent and shoved a BPD officer. BPD transported him to the Pine Street Inn and left him there to sober up.

A student reported that she had been the target of Internet fraud. She said she received an e-mail informing her that her antivirus software was expiring. She used her credit card to renew the software and realized it was a fraudulent e-mail after she did not receive a confirmation of her purchase. She contacted her credit card company and stopped the payment.

Sunday, February 1
A student from an apartment on Symphony Road reported that his 21-year-old roommate had passed out after drinking beer. He fell on the floor as he passed out and had a gash on his chin. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance for treatment.

BPD requested assistance at a 480 Mass Ave. party where they had responded for the second time in a week and identified the tenants as students. Police had everyone leave the apartment except for the 20-year-old and 21-year-old male roommates. The 21-year-old claimed he did not buy any of the beer present in the apartment. Both students will be reported to OSCCR. BPD also warned them that arrests will be made in the event of any future noise complaints.

3 a.m.
A 19-year-old male student reported that his 18-year-old roommate had passed out after drinking vodka at their apartment at 132 Hemenway St. EMTs evaluated him, revived him and determined that he did not need to go to the hospital. He will be reported to OSCCR.

4 a.m.
Students in Willis Hall reported a 19-year-old student had stumbled into a neighbor’s room intoxicated and passed out. He was incoherent and it was difficult for EMTs to revive him. He was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital by ambulance. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Tuesday, February 3
2 a.m.
An officer on patrol around the Fenway saw four students walking across the street into the Fens behind the Pump House. They stayed there for 10 minutes before officers approached them. Officers confiscated pipes and a small amount of marijuana measuring less than an ounce. All four male students will be reported to OSCCR.