Down and Dirty: STD prevention

By Daniel Christopher Sabau, News Correspondent

“At your age, you’re going to have a lot of urges. You’re going to want to take your clothes off and touch each other. But if you do touch each other, you will get chlamydia … and die.”

We all remember the wise words of Coach Carr from our favorite teen movie, “Mean Girls,” – he was definitely on to something. Statistics show that one in every four college students currently has a sexually transmitted disease. That doesn’t mean that students have to disengage in their newfound college freedom, or stop exploring sexual desires, but it does mean they should do so safely.

Northeastern makes it easy. Prevention is as simple as visiting University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS), grabbing a few condoms at the free kiosk, and picking up a pamphlet and getting educated. In an age when information is at our fingertips, our generation does not need to be taking so many health risks.

An STD, if left untreated, has the contingency of remaining dormant in our systems until a flare up occurs. By that time, we may have had multiple sexual partners and we are putting them at risk.

The Dirty:

A 2012 survey by the Center for Disease Control showed that the top five most popular STDs in 15-to 24-year-olds are human papilloma virus (HPV), chlamydia, trichomniasis, herpes simplex virus and genital herpes, all of which can be treated and/or cured over a period of time. Eighty percent of people with STDs do not show visible sign of infection, which is why it’s so important to be tested after each different sexual partner.

It may be embarrassing to step into Northeastern’s on-campus clinic every few weeks, but the nurses and doctors are there for students, and privacy and confidentiality are always first on their list. Testing takes about 15-20 minutes and is readily available daily on campus at UHCS as well as clinics such as The MALE Center at 571 Columbus Ave., which has free HIV testing. Walk-ins and appointments are equally welcome.

Getting Down:

As a fellow college student, I know the urges and tendencies each of us endure on a daily basis; gay, straight, bisexual or lesbian, we are all human, and we all crave love and affection, even if it is only for one night. However, the risk of catching an STD can have life-changing effects on not only our lives, but also the lives of the people we love.

Ladies: education is the first step in prevention and protection, think before you act, don’t make rash decisions and never let someone force you into doing something you are not comfortable with. This is your body, your life and your future health that is at hand. One day you will fall in love with an incredible person; how will it feel to pass an STD to them because you were too careless to be tested? Think about it.

Gentlemen: be just that. I know sometimes things happen in the moment and we don’t think before we act. Stay informed, there is power in education. Carry a condom at all times and learn how to properly use one. Get tested – it could save your life.

For more information on testing for sexually transmitted diseases, prevention, protection and education, visit http://www.northeastern.edu/uhcs/medical/stdtesting.html.