Northeastern Crime Log

By By Tara Turner, News Correspondent

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, February 3
4 p.m.
A professor in Ryder Hall reported that two university-owned laptops were stolen from an unlocked, third floor classroom between noon and 1 p.m. on Jan. 30.

7 p.m.
A student living in a Northeastern leased apartment on Symphony Road reported $700 missing from a box in her dresser drawer. She had hosted a party the previous night, but said everyone who attended was a friend. She is gathering the contact information of each guest so police can speak with each individual.

Thursday, February 5
12:30 a.m.
A student learned a man she had been dating during the past several months had misled her regarding his identity. She told police she was concerned for her safety because she knew he carried a gun. She said she met the man on an online dating website and he told her he lived in a Boston suburb and was a police officer. Police identified him as a 28-year-old from central Massachusetts who was employed in law enforcement but was not a police officer. The Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) banned him from campus and he is facing sanctions from his employer for impersonating a police officer.

Friday, February 6
6 p.m.
A student reported his wallet was stolen from the Cabot Center between 6 and 7 p.m. Feb. 3. He had been working out and said he frequently leaves his wallet on a bench in the locker room. It contained credit cards and $40.

Saturday, February 7
2:30 a.m.
NUPD officers were called to West Village G to check on a 19-year-old student who was reported to have been acting intoxicated. Friends said they had been drinking at a bar off-campus. EMTs evaluated and monitored the student, but did not take her to the hospital. She will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

9 a.m.
A professor in Hurtig Hall reported he left his office unattended for a few minutes around 4 p.m. and saw a man walking out of it when he returned. He did not question the man at the time but later realized his cell phone was missing.

5:30 p.m.
A Resident Assistant (RA) called NUPD officers to Smith Hall to investigate the odor of marijuana coming from a room. Police spoke to the two male residents and drug paraphernalia was visible. They confiscated rolling papers, grinders and a container with less than an ounce of marijuana. They will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, February 8
3:30 a.m.
NUPD saw two men carrying another man through the North Lot. After questioning them, officers determined the 19-year-old student being carried and was not conscious. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. The other two students were uncooperative with officers. They both had fake IDs and said they had been drinking off-campus at a bar. All three students will be reported to OSCCR for drinking underage and possessing fake IDs.
‘ 12:30 p.m.
A student reported that he lost his wallet Friday, Feb. 6. He said he believed it fell out of his pocket at Centennial Common. By Sunday, his credit cards had been used for $1,000 in purchases at Best Buy, $900 at Footlocker, $500 at T-Mobile and for two $2 purchases at Crossroads in the Curry Student Center. NUPD are working to obtain video in an attempt to identify the person using the cards.

Monday, February 9
5:30 p.m.
Library staff called police to Snell Library after a person who had previously been banned from the library had signed in as a guest. He was using a computer on the’ third floor. Police confirmed his identity. He has been arrested by NUPD on four previous occasions. Police arrested 23-year-old Wisly Abel of Lawrence for trespassing and on a default warrant from Lawrence for a failure to appear in court on a previous arrest.

7:00 p.m.
A student returned to his car on Camden Street that had been parked overnight to find his window broken and his GPS unit stolen.

8:45 p.m.
During the Beanpot championship game, Boston Police officers encountered an 18-year-old student at the TD Banknorth Garden who was apparently acting belligerent. Police determined she was intoxicated, called her mother and decided to bring her to the NUPD station. Police also found a canister of mace in her purse, for which she has no permit. A family friend came to pick her up. She will be reported to OSCCR but will not face criminal charges for the mace.

10:30 p.m. Police were called to Smith Hall where an 18-year-old student was sitting in the lobby. The student said he was waiting for his girlfriend to come downstairs, but she had refused. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety officers determined he was intoxicated and had no identification, but found he lives in Speare Hall and turned him over to a Resident Assistant. At 11:15 p.m., officers on Hemenway Street heard an alarm sounding from an emergency exit door at Smith Hall. They caught the same student coming out the door. He was taken back to Speare Hall and will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.