Northeastern Crime Log

By Tara Turner, News Correspondent

Crime Log Entry of the Week:

Saturday, February 14:

3 a.m. A resident on Gainsborough Street reported to Boston Police Department (BPD) that a man was ringing all the apartments in a building in an attempt to gain entry. He fled the scene when police arrived. BPD officers alerted Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) that they were chasing a suspect on Gainsborough Street. An NUPD officer on patrol spotted the suspect crawling under parked cars in an alley, stopped him and turned him over to BPD. They confiscated a large amount of controlled substances that were packaged for sale, a large sum of cash and a loaded gun from him. BPD officers arrested the 28-year-old Boston man on drug and weapons charges. Another man with him who had been waiting in a car nearby was arrested on charges for outstanding warrants.

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, February 10
A student returned to her privately leased apartment at 204 Hemenway St. to see a man holding her roommate’s backpack and laptop. She ran outside and called the police. While outside, the man ran out of the apartment. Another student pursued the man, who was finally caught by an officer in Ruggles station. The Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officer recovered a screwdriver from the man and found the stolen property in Ruggles. The student positively identified the man and Boston Police Department (BPD) officers arrested him. He is a 36-year-old man from Dorchester with no connection to the university. Since the incident, the student and her roommate have moved into an apartment made available to them by the university.

A staff member in Richards Hall reported a laptop missing from an unlocked office on the second floor. The next morning, a second laptop was reported missing from the same area of the building.

Thursday, February 12
3 p.m.
A student in Davenport Commons reported that several articles of her clothing had gone missing during the past week. She suspects guests of her roommates took the clothing and the incident is currently being investigated.

Friday, February 13
A proctor in Willis Hall reported a male student had been carried into the building by another student. Officers found the 18-year-old student and his 19-year-old friend in the 19-year-old’s room. Both had been drinking but neither required medical attention. Both will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

2 a.m.
A student reported a man passed out in the hallway on the sixth floor of West Village H. Upon being awakened by police, the student became violent and had to be restrained. Police identified him as a 21-year-old man who lives in the building. He was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, February 14
‘ 10 a.m.
A student reported constantly receiving phone calls, e-mails and text messages from an ex-boyfriend, who is also a student. She said he had followed her to her co-op job in Cambridge on multiple occasions. She went to NUPD headquarters for help and while there, her ex-boyfriend called again. An officer answered her phone and told the male student to stop harassing her or he would face criminal charges. He will be reported to OSCCR.

11 a.m.
A professor, whose cell phone had been stolen the previous week, reported that he saw the same man who left his office prior to it going missing last week in Hurtig Hall. Police spoke with the 56-year-old Boston man and the 24-year-old woman who was with him. They said they often use the restrooms in the university buildings, had no stolen property on them and denied stealing the professor’s phone the previous week. NUPD officers escorted them off campus and gave them trespassing warnings.

Sunday, February 15
2 p.m.
A student reported that a male student, whom she has never met but knows of through a friend, had posted offensive references to her on his Facebook page. She said she was afraid to contact him directly because of his bad temper. NUPD contacted him and requested he remove the material. He agreed and will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, February 16
An officer on patrol in the Fenway heard a BPD radio call of a burglary in progress at a corner store at the intersection of Westland Avenue and Hemenway Street. The officer apprehended the man inside the corner store and turned him over to BPD. The man was a 39-year-old resident of Boston.

Tuesday, February 17
An officer on patrol on Forsyth Street saw four people walk in front of White Hall, start to go down an alley and come back out when they saw the police car. The officer drove around the block and parked along the Fenway. Shortly thereafter, he saw the same four walk behind a pump house and begin smoking marijuana with a fifth person. The officer confiscated a small amount of marijuana and a pipe. The students, two females and two males, will be reported to OSCCR. The fifth, an 18 year-old male guest from Mitchell College, was told not to return to campus.