Northeastern Crime Log

By By: Tara Turner, News Correspondent

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, March 24

A professor in Ryder Hall called the Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) to report a 26-year-old student had arrived to class heavily intoxicated for the second consecutive week. NUPD officers arrived and spoke with her. Police said she was unsure of what day it was and thought it was morning. She was transported by ambulance to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

7 p.m.
A proctor in West Village E reported that sometime during the three hours he worked, his Red Sox hat had been stolen from the proctor station. Police played back video of the lobby the next day to identify the person who stole the hat. The student, who lives off campus and is 24 years old, was signed in by a female who lives in the building. When Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers spoke with him, he said he was so drunk when he entered the building that he barely remembers taking it and didn’t know where he left it. He was able to find it later that day and the hat was returned to the proctor. Both the student who stole the hat and the girl who signed him in will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, March 25
A detective was at Stetson West to follow up on information NUPD had obtained the previous week about students using hallucinogenic mushrooms on the second floor. He spoke to four students who admitted to using mushrooms and identified another student who had sold them the drugs. The detective then confronted that student who admitted to selling drugs. The student said he had sold them every week since the beginning of the year but had stopped the previous Friday because it was too much work to keep up with. All five students will be reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, March 26
5 p.m.
A student reported he lost his Husky card, and he thinks he lost it at Levine Marketplace or outside Stetson East. By the time he canceled it, it had already been used for $40 worth of pizza and vending machine purchases.

Friday, March 27
1 a.m.
A student working in InfoCommons reported that a woman approached him and said she wanted help. He said he was busy but said if she could wait he would help her in a few minutes. She became angry and began yelling at him, requesting that he stop what he was doing and help her. She grabbed his Husky card off the desk in front of him and told him that if he wasn’t going to help her, he wasn’t going to get his card back and ran out of the building.

An officer on patrol passed Opera Place and noticed a man urinating on the side of 337 Huntington Ave. When he saw the officer he began to walk away despite the officer’s requests that he stop. The officer caught up with the 19-year-old student, who was intoxicated. He will be reported to OSCCR.

A Resident Assistant at 780 Columbus Ave. reported seeing a female student inside the building who is known to have been banned from all residence halls. After checking with the proctor, NUPD discovered she had attempted to use an ID that was not hers and would not swipe correctly. She gave him the name on the ID and since she looked like the girl pictured, he let her in. Police then went to speak with the resident whose ID she had used. The student had her own valid ID and claimed that she had no idea how the banned student had gotten her ID. Officers then caught the banned student coming through the lobby and escorted her out of the building. Both students will be reported to OSCCR.

A Wentworth student on Ruggles Street flagged down an NUPD officer as he drove by and reported he had been robbed by a group of young men. They took his iPod and cell phone.

11 p.m.
A student reported her wallet missing after she left it unattended for about an hour in a room on the third floor of the Curry Student Center. She was under the impression that someone was going to stay in the room and watch her things, but no one did. It contained credit cards and $5.

A student in Kennedy Hall reported he went outside onto Hemenway Street to have a cigarette and witnessed a fight between two adults, one male and one female. NUPD arrived and arrested 70-year-old Edward Boone, who had assaulted his 40-year-old girlfriend. Neither have any connection to Northeastern, but Boone lives on Hemenway Street.

Saturday, March 28
An officer driving through the Columbus Parking Lot saw a 20-year-old student sitting on the ground semi-conscious and a man standing near her. He told police he had received a phone call from her friends who told him she had gotten drunk off campus and needed help getting home. He was attempting to walk her home but she had vomited on herself and passed out. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for medical treatment and will be reported to OSCCR.

NUPD heard Boston Police Department (BPD) officers being dispatched to a fight occurring at 311 Huntington Ave. and responded to the scene. A group of students had been drinking at an off-campus party. A male student and his girlfriend left the party and went back to his apartment at 311 Huntington Ave. When they arrived, he realized he didn’t have his keys. He proceeded to strip naked and urinate in the hallway. His girlfriend called her boyfriend’s roommate to ask him to come home and let them into the apartment. By the time the roommate arrived home, the intoxicated student had urinated again in the hallway. His roommate and friends attempted to get him into bed when he became unruly and violent. He attacked his roommate, leaving him with scratches, bruises and cuts on his arms and chest. One of his friends then called 911. Police arrived and arrested 23-year-old Jason Durant for assaulting his roommate.

Sunday, March 29
3 a.m.
A student reported she had just arrived on campus and realized she left her wallet in a cab. It contained her ID and credit cards. An hour later, another student turned in her wallet and nothing was missing.

Monday, March 30
Residence Hall staff in Stetson West spoke to police and told them there had been more than half a dozen thefts from the laundry room. Police spent the afternoon looking for those victims and speaking to residents. In most cases, it was expensive women’s underwear that had been stolen.