Northeastern Crime Log

By Rob Tokanel, News Staff

Wednesday, April 15

11 a.m.

A female staff member reported her iPod missing from her desk in Meserve Hall. There were no signs of forced entry into the office.

The Northeastern University Department of Public Safety (NUPD) arrested an apparently homeless man who was aggressively panhandling in the Marino Center. John Mcdonald, 44, was identified as a prior trespasser who had been told to stay off campus property in the past.

Friday, April 17

1 p.m.

NUPD was called to the Stetson East dining hall, where a student had discharged a canister of pepper spray. The canister belonged to a 19-year-old female student who said a family member had given it to her when she came to Northeastern. She left it on a table while she went to get food when one of her friends allegedly discharged it by accident. The student said she was unaware that it is illegal to own pepper spray in Massachussetts because she is from a state where it is not banned. She will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

9 p.m.

A 19-year-old student reported he was robbed while walking on Columbus Avenue several blocks inbound from Massachussetts Avenue. He was talking on his cell phone when he was approached by several youths who stole his phone and his wallet. He reported it immediately and NUPD contacted the Boston Police Department (BPD), who confronted two juveniles several blocks away. The student positively identified them and they were arrested.

Saturday, April 18

A 21-year-old student was taken to Beth Isreal Deaconness Medical Center by ambulance after he was found in the West Campus Quad nearly unconscious, intoxicated and vomiting. He will be reported to OSCCR.

11 a.m.

A 23-year-old female student reported her car window had been broken while it was parked on Camden Street. The car had been there for two days. Her GPS and iPhone charger were missing.

Sunday, April 19

A 19-year-old female was taken to Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center by ambulance after she was found unconscious from intoxication in the third floor women’s room in Smith Hall. She will be referred to OSCCR.

Monday, April 20

5 p.m.

A 24-year-old graduate student reported that she had been assaulted by her former boyfriend, a 24-year-old Northeastern graduate student, twice over the previous weekend at her off campus apartment in Malden. She reported the assaults to the Malden Police Department, who arrested him, and she also obtained a domestic abuse restraining order which bans him from being within 100 feet of her. He is awaiting criminal charges in Malden and has been reported to OSCCR

Monday, April 20

11 p.m.

A resident assistant in White Hall reported an intoxicated female vomiting in the corridor of the third floor of the building. The 18-year-old student was evaluated by EMTs who determined she was well enough not to be taken to the hospital. She will be reported to OSCCR.

Tuesday. April 21

2 a.m.

A 23-year-old student was walking on Hemenway Street near Smith Hall with her roommate when a 26-year-old female punched in the face and a 27-year-old male grabbed her shoulder bag from behind. A student that witnessed the incident intervened and detained the female as she fled and also reported the license plate of the male’s car as he drove away. NUPD detained the woman and BPD stopped the car on Massachussetts Avenue several blocks away. Neither has any connection to Northeastern and both were arrested by BPD.

1 p.m.

A 25-year-old student at 331 Huntington Ave. reported at 6 p.m. Monday evening the Husy Express laundry service dropped off her laundry outside the door of her apartment. When she arrived home at 10 p.m. the laundry was gone.

2 p.m.

An 18-year-old student reported she had received harassing and inappropriate messages on her email and Facebook from a man she met in a shopping mall in Rhode Island the weekend before. NUPD contacted the man by email and told him that she had filed a report and not to contact her again.

6 p.m.

Two 18-year-old roommates reported textbooks, a bank card and a small amount of cash missing from their room in White Hall. They subsequently found two of the missing textbooks in another rommate’s desk. He was questioned and claimed not to know how the textbooks got there. NUPD is still investigating the case and the roommate, who may have gambling debts, remains a suspect.

Wednesday. April 22

12 p.m.

A 19-year-old student reported his bicycle missing. He had parked it at 3 p.m. April 19 outside of West Village G and upon returning 24 hours later discovered that the bike, which had been locked by a chain cable, was missing.

Detectives visited an 18-year-old student in Speare Hall whose name had come up in an ongoing drug investigation. In the course of the interview the detectives confiscated over two ounces of marijuana, which were packaged in multiple small bags and labeled as different types of marijuana, and a variety of paraphernalia. The student claimed he did not distribute marijuana and that the entire two ounces were for personal use. He said he was a marijuana connoisseur and that he purchased many different types to smoke. The student reported several names to NUPD of students he identified as drug distributors to which he had referred friends to purchase marijuana. He will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court for having more than an ounce of marijuana and has been reported to OSCCR.

8 p.m.

Detectives visited a room in Light Hall as part of an ongoing drug investigation and encountered two students, 18 and 19 years old, that were in possession of several pipes and less than an ounce of marijuana. They will be reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, April 23

1 p.m.

An 18-year-old student reported that on April 16 he had been robbed in Egleston Square after participating in a community service project. He was walking back to campus at about 6 p.m. when he was approached by a man who asked for his money, but the student resisted and punched the man. The robbery was unsuccessful.

Friday, April 24

10 p.m.

A 19-year-old student was robbed on Parker Street by two men who claimed to have a gun. They stole his wallet, iPod, cell phone and $15.

Tuesday, April 28

A 21-year-old student reported he was at his work-study job in Nightingale Hall in an office on the first floor the previous day and put his laptop under the receptionist’s desk at noon. When he left the office at 4 p.m. he discovered that it was missing.

A student who lives at 10 Coventry St. reported his car had been broken into a few hours earlier. The lock appeared to be picked and the steering column was broken but nothing appeared to be missing from the car.

Friday, May 1

6 a.m.

A 26-year-old student reported that he had left his bicycle near Shillman Hall in Centenial Common April 29 and when he returned two days later the bicycle was missing. He described it as a classic 1970s bicycle that was priceless and said he left it unlocked because he had just acquired a second bicycle and only had one lock.

A manager at Wollastons in the Marino Center reported that five juveniles were shoplifting in his store. He detained two of them as NUPD was responding and got some candy and a soda back, but all five fled the scene before police arrived.