Northeastern Crime Log

By Gal Tziperman Lotan, News Staff

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeaster’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Monday, May 4

9 p.m.
Two students reported they were robbed while walking home by three men on Parker Street near the Wentworth Institute of Technology. The men said they had a gun and stole the students’ wallets, a cell phone and two laptops. Boston Police Department (BPD) officials said there have been a number of similar, possibly related robberies in the area, including one involving another Northeastern student. BPD officials are investigating the incidents. ‘

Wednesday, May 6

A staff member in Lake Hall reported three laptops were missing from an unlocked storage room. There was no sign of forced entry. Northeastern University Department of Public Safety (NUPD) officials discovered spare storage room keys were kept in the office suite, and a few people knew where they were kept. Boston Public Schools students are tutored in the suite, and some knew where the spare keys were kept. A few of the students were seen in the building the previous night and are persons of interest in the investigation.

Thursday, May 7

Thursday morning
BPD informed NUPD that 41 cars in the Standard Parking Garage, 41 Westland Ave., were broken into the night before. Though the garage is locked at night, requiring a key card to enter, someone drove in and spent several hours breaking into cars and stealing GPS units. The BPD did not know if any of the cars belonged to Northeastern students. Nothing but GPS units was reported stolen.

Friday, May 8

6 p.m.
An alumnus in the Marino Center discovered a private lock on the locker he was using earlier that day. The alumnus broke into the locker and saw his belongings were no longer in it. His wallet, containing $10 and a few credit cards, was missing. When the alumnus called the credit card company to cancel the cards, he found they had already been used for purchases totaling more that $2,000 in two different Best Buy locations in Boston.

10 p.m.
A proctor called NUPD officers to Speare Hall, where a 41-year-old homeless man was sleeping in the lobby. The man, William Bryant, politely told officers he was just resting. Officers discovered Bryant was wanted by BPD for failure to appear in court for a previous assault charge. They turned him in to BPD and advised him not to return to Northeastern.

Saturday, May 9

1 a.m.
NUPD officers found a 22-year-old intoxicated male student in the alley behind 108 Gainsborough St. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital and was reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSSCR).

Monday, May 11

3 p.m.
A staff member in West Village H reported a laptop was missing from her office. The office was left unlocked and empty between noon and 2 p.m.

A student reported she had been receiving harassing phone calls from a former classmate from a class she took in a different university last year. The two exchanged e-mail addresses while they were taking the class, but the former classmate’s romantic advances have recently gotten to the point of harassment. NUPD contact the former classmate and urged him to stop contacting the student before she files criminal charges against him. He has not tried to contact her since.

Tuesday, May 12

Media Services staff reported a portable projector was stolen from a conference room in Behrakis Center. The room was left unlocked and unattended.

5 p.m.
A student reported her laptop was stolen from a classroom in the basement of Snell Library, where she left it after an exam.

Thursday, May 14

10 p.m.
After a small conference on the fourth floor of the Curry Student Center (CSC), Media Services staff members discovered two small audio speakers were missing from the stage. They went missing shortly after the conference ended.

Friday, May 15

10 p.m.
An NUPD officer patrolling the Fenway saw a 20-year-old female student and her friend, a 20-year-old male non-student, arguing loudly. Both appeared to be intoxicated. After a disagreement at a party the two attended, the male left and the female, who was concerned about their friendship, followed him. After determining the two were not in an abusive relationship and neither was intoxicated enough to need medical attention, the officer allowed the them to leave together.

Saturday, May 16

A caller reported someone was throwing fireworks out a fourth-floor window in 650 Columbus Ave., a non-university building. Officers went into the apartment and found a resident and his friend. They said the visitor brought fireworks over and admitted to throwing them out the window. The two will be reported to OSSCR and the building’s landlord.

An officer saw three teenagers loitering around a bicycle rack between the Egan Research Center and Snell Library. After the officer was watching them from afar for about 10 minutes, one teen stood on guard while the other two pulled out tools and began picking bicycle locks. The officer approached the three and they began to flee. The officer caught the two who were picking the locks, both 12 years old, but the third, 13, escaped on a bicycle. The 12-year-olds were reported to their parents and were banned from campus but will not face criminal charges. Neither has a previous criminal record. They identified the third teen, and NUPD will speak with his family. One of the 12-year-olds is part of an after-school tutoring and community service program on campus, and the program directors will meet with the teen and his parents to decide if he can stay in the program. If they decide to keep him in the program, the student will be allowed to enter campus if he is chaperoned.

Sunday, May 17

11 a.m.
A student studying abroad in Africa called NUPD to report her iPod was stolen from a classroom in the Snell Library basement in mid-April.

Monday, May 18

Monday morning
A staff member in Nightingale Hall reported a man who claimed to be a maintenance worker asked her to unlock an area in her office suite around 8:30 a.m. The staff member unlocked the area and forgot her wallet inside. About an hour later, after the man left, she discovered her wallet was missing, along with several credit cards, a T pass and an iPod. The Facilities Department reported they did not send a maintenance man to the building that morning. The staff member said she has seen the man acting as a maintenance man on campus before.