Northeastern Crime Log

By Gal Tziperman Lotan, News Staff

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, June 30′

2:06 p.m.

An athletic coach received what he believed to be a fraudulent check, written from another college. He was asked to cash it and wire money to a third party. The coach contacted the college and found officials have had a few incidents involving similar fraudulent checks on the west coast.’

1:53 p.m.

A staff member reported her purse was stolen from the back of a chair in Qdoba when she was eating lunch there. The purse contained several credit cards, a cell phone, a Palm Pilot and various IDs. The cards were later used in various bookstores and gas stations. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers are investigating.’

3:10 p.m.

A student in Speare Hall reported an estranged family member was in the building trying to contact her in a threatening manner. Officers asked the man to leave and gave him a trespass warning.’

Wednesday, July 1′

12:18 a.m.

A security officer on the footbridge between Camden and Gainsborough streets reported a student and non-student were involved in breaking a mirror off a car parked on Camden Street. NUPD referred the incident to the Boston Police Department (BPD) and are currently helping the owner of the car look into pressing criminal charges against the non-student.’

12:44 a.m.

A security officer on the footbridge between Camden and Gainsborough streets saw three adult males and a female near the Carter Playground acting suspiciously. NUPD officers questioned the four and found they had a small amount of marijuana, as well as box cutters, alcohol and tobacco. The officers confiscated the weapons, drugs and alcohol and asked the four to leave.’

8 p.m.

An NUDP officer patrolling Snell Library was told a loud man with no connection to the university was disturbing patrons. NUPD had previously asked the man not to return to Snell Library after he was caught using library computers to look at inappropriate material. Officers asked him to leave and gave him a trespass warning.’

9:08 p.m.

Snell Library staff members told officers a man was talking on his cell phone using loud, vulgar and inappropriate language, including racial slurs. Officers asked the man, who has no connection to the university, to leave the library and issued a trespass warning.’

10:40 p.m.

A student reported she left her iPod in a Hayden Hall classroom. When she returned 20 minutes later, the iPod was missing.’

Thursday, July 2′

1:13 p.m.

A student reported two Red Sox tickets, worth $125 each, were stolen from his backpack when he left it unattended.’

Friday, July 3′

5:43 a.m.

Officers responded to reports of an assault on Forsyth Street in front of the Marino Center. Two coal workers in a local construction site had a verbal argument, which escalated into a physical fight. Officers broke up the fight and referred the two to BPD officers. Both workers decided not to press charges.’

3:50 p.m.

A caller reported about 10 juveniles were stealing a blue bicycle in front of 40 Symphony Rd. NUPD officers saw four males matching the description with a blue bicycle near Burger King on Huntington Avenue. There was a pair of wire cutters in a backpack under the table where the juveniles were sitting, which they said did not belong to them. Officers called BPD, who confiscated the bicycle and wire cutters. The caller could not identify the four, and they were not charged.’

Sunday, July 5′

8:16 p.m.

A caller reported a bicyclist was being assaulted on Gainsborough Street. Officers found a Northeastern student who said he collided with another cyclist, a non-student, traveling over the Gainsborough Street Bridge. The non-student then assaulted him, he said. The student called BPD. Neither cyclist wants to press charges.’

Monday, July 6′

11:37 a.m.

A student reported he locked his bicycle, worth more that $1,000, on the rack outside Snell Library facing the Snell Engineering Center with a cable lock the previous night. When he returned, the bicycle was missing.’

1:18 p.m.

A non-student reported her purse was stolen from Qdoba. It contained credit cards, a cell phone and other personal items. The credit cards had been used at some of the same establishments as the cards stolen from Qdoba June 30. Officers are investigating possible suspects and believe the same person committed both crimes.’

Tuesday, July 7′

12:06 p.m.

An Information Technology staff member reported a wireless router worth $250 was missing from the ceiling in Steston West. Only incoming freshmen and orientation leaders are currently staying in the residence hall.’

Wednesday, July 8′

10:14 a.m.

A student reported her wallet and cell phone were stolen from her backpack in Snell Library while she was in the restroom. She had seen a man looking at her suspiciously through the book stacks beforehand, who she described to the officers and identified in security camera footage. Officers are investigating.’

2:57 p.m.

A student in Ryder Hall reported a backpack missing after leaving it unattended.’

Thursday, July 9′

10:16 a.m.

An officer on detail at International Village saw a couple with two young children coming out of the Whittier Street Health Center arguing. The man pushed the woman, who was holding an infant in her arms. The officer separated the two, who are boyfriend and girlfriend and parents of the two children. Nathaniel Medrano, 25 of Roxbury, was arrested and charged with domestic assault and battery.’

6:58 p.m.

Several callers reported a fight near 780 Columbus Ave. When officers arrived, a group of 30 to 40 local residents scattered. Officers stopped several people and found one person in the group was trying to steal another’s cell phone. NUPD notified BPD, but because the person who tried to steal the phone had fled, no arrests were made.’

Friday, July 10′

1:34 a.m.

An officer patrolling Gainsborough Street saw a man who seemed to be urinating on the side of an apartment building. The man, a 20-year-old student, denied he had been urinating but apologized and left. He will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.’

Saturday, July 11′

12:45 p.m.

Staff members in the Snell Library reported a man was lying on the floor digging through a purse under a chair. Officers found Wilvin Guity, 19 of Boston, crawling toward another person. Guity, who was carrying a small amount of marijuana and a large kitchen knife, was arrested and charged with a trespassing, attempted larceny and possession of a dangerous weapon. Guity had a default warrant from Boston Municipal Court for a previous larceny charge. Officers believe Guity is responsible for the July 8 incident in which a student’s wallet and cell phone were stolen in Snell Library.’

Sunday, July 12′

2:22 p.m.

A student reported he left his cell phone in a Snell Library restroom. When he returned 15 minutes later, the phone was missing.’

Monday, July 13′

5:28 p.m.

An instructor of an on-campus program for high school students reported one of the students, 16, had allegedly made threats toward a few specific groups of people. Officers spoke to the instructor, the student and the class to help those involved understand and deal with the situation.

11:34 p.m.

A student reported she lost her cell phone in the lawn between Stetson East and Speare Hall. The student’s friend called the phone, and a man who answered asked to meet the two near Matthews Arena to return it. The two got into an argument, and the man called and text messaged the friend numerous times. A short time later, a woman called the friend from the victim’s phone and said she found the phone on Camden Street after she saw someone throw it out of a sports utility vehicle. NUPD retrieved the phone from the woman and returned it to the student. The phone still works.