New pizza truck coming to campus

By Natasha Bonfield, News Correspondent

A new truck will be dishing out wood-fired pizza on Friday nights at Opera Place, located on Huntington Avenue, starting April 1.

Photo Courtesy/Scott Riebling
Photo Courtesy/Scott Riebling

Stoked Wood Fire Pizza Co. is equipping its mobile joint with a 6,000 pound oven, but the most notable part is still its two owners, Scott Riebling and Toirm Miller.

Riebling and Miller have been friends for more than a decade, but it wasn’t until last year that Miller approached Riebling with the idea for the truck.

Miller runs the business side of Stoked while Riebling, a self-professed “pizza fanatic,” is head chef. He was also a bass player for the 90s alternative rock group, Letters to Cleo. But now Riebling is all about pizza – he, in fact, spent 25 years perfecting his crust recipe and studied pizza-making techniques around the world. He even went to Naples, Italy to learn from the original masters of pizza.

What makes Stoked pizza different? Riebling said the wood-fired oven creates a pizza that’s “crispy but soft in the middle … [with] a little hint of the wood-fire flavor.” The oven allows fusion of different cooking styles.

“I want to combine the best of New York coal oven style pizza with the pizzas I fell in love with in Italy,” Riebling said.

To do this, Riebling and Miller are focusing on Boston produce and Italian imports.

“We’re sourcing as many local ingredients as possible,” Riebling said.

Stoked will be using fresh Boston lobster while importing artisanal pepperoni and gorgonzola from Italy. The pepperoni and gorgonzola will be on Stoked’s buffalo chicken pizza.

“[The buffalo chicken] combines lowbrow American style and the highbrow style from Italy,” Riebling said.

Other toppings include wood-oven roasted mushrooms with black truffle oil and fresh basil and mozzarella.

The two also want to provide an array of meat and dairy-free options.

“We don’t want to leave vegans and vegetarians out of the equation,” Miller said.

Options will include pizzas with dairy-free daiya brand cheese and meat substitutes, as well as a classic marina option. Miller said that this is his favorite pizza at Stoked.

“It’s cheese-less with a crispy crust and a little oregano,” he said.

For now, Riebling and Miller are keeping it simple with only a few menu items.

“We’ve found the best food trucks do a few things really well instead of having an expansive menu,” Miller said.

In the future, the two plan to expand their menu and have rotating specials.

“I want to do a fresh house-made pesto when basil’s in season,” Riebling said.

For now, they’re focusing on creating their in-house fresh mozzarella, a result of years of cheese taste-testing.

Because the menu is not yet finalized, they cannot yet put an exact price on their pizza. However, Stoked hopes to be embraced by the student community at Northeastern.

“We really vied for the Northeastern campus spot. We think it will be a good fit,” Miller said.

Jacob Freake, a junior mechanical engineering major, agrees. “I’m intrigued by the wood-fired oven in a truck.”

But while some students are eager to try this truck’s pizza, others found the uncertain price discouraging. Martin Lussier, a graduate student at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, worried about the high price for such specialty pizzas.

“[That pizza] appeals to my stomach, but I don’t know if it appeals to my wallet,” he said.

Freake disagreed.

“If the food is good enough, I’ll pay,” he said.