Northeastern Crime Log

By Katie Curren, News Correspondent

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, July 14

9 a.m.
Offensive graffiti was found written on the men’s bathroom wall in the public restrooms on the first floor of the Marino Center. It was painted over that day.

Northeastern student Julia Sanchez, 21, was arrested for disorderly conduct after assaulting an officer posted at the corner of Huntington Avenue and Opera Place. The road and sidewalk were closed off with police tape and officers were posted to direct all traffic around 337 Huntington Ave. An officer saw Sanchez walk up to the police tape, lift it up, and walk into the hazardous area. He called to her, telling her she could not go through there. She yelled back and continued on. The officer kept calling to her and followed her. She became extremely disorderly, shoved him, and told him to leave or she would cry, ‘Rape.’ She is due back in court Aug. 25 at Roxbury District Court and has also been reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, July 15

‘ A student reported a man who seemed intoxicated standing in the library quad harassing passersby. The man had left by the time the officers arrived, but the dispatcher located him tugging on a locked bicycle outside Squashbusters by the Columbus Garage. The man was uncooperative and at one point bit an officer on the arm. Officers arrested Adan Ibrahim, 21, for trespassing and assault and battery on an officer. He has no relationship to Northeastern but has been cited at least 3 other times for suspicious or disorderly behavior on campus, and had been previously arrested in March, 2008 for trespassing in Snell Library. He will be facing charges at Roxbury District Court.

Thursday, July 16

A student who lives in Douglas Park reported’ her purse stolen as she left the elevator and walked towards her apartment. A man who had been in the elevator with her followed her out and down the hall, knocked her to the floor and ran down the stairs with her purse. She chased him, but could not catch up. She went outside and flagged down a passing NUPD cruiser. A building employee recognized the thief as an acquaintance of another resident. The student was offered a relocation to another university apartment, which she declined. Boston Police are investigating.

Sunday, July 19

9 a.m.
A student reported his bike stolen from the fence outside Kerr Hall. He locked up his bike at 10 p.m. the previous night, and returned the next morning to find it gone, along with the cable and lock.

11 p.m.
During a false fire alarm at West Village G, building staff smelled marijuana as the students were evacuating. When they returned the two male non-students in the room where the smell was coming from were questioned and a small amount of marijuana was discovered, which the students said they bought from someone on the street. They were 16- and 17- year-old males participating in the Summer Discovery program and were expelled the next morning. Their parents were notified to pick them up. Because less than an ounce of marijuana was found, the two were not arrested.

Monday, July 20

3 p.m.
Two 15-year-olds and a 16 year-old member of the Summer Discovery program were caught by one of their counselors with a bottle of vodka. The counselors smelled cigarette smoke, which is not permitted, and found the three students, all from other countries, with alcohol. The students said they got it from someone on the street. They were also expelled from the program and sent home.

Wednesday, July 22

A student reported her bike and cable lock stolen from Cabot Court. She had locked it there at 9:30 a.m. the previous day. When she came back in the morning, it was gone.

A student reported her backpack, containing her glasses and books, was stolen after she left it unattended from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the first floor of Snell Library.

Thursday, July 23

A student reported her laptop was stolen from her first floor privately-leased apartment on Columbus Avenue. She reported the laptop was left on the living room windowsill with the window open when she went out for the evening, and had noticed it missing the next morning. The screen of the window had been cut.

3 p.m.
A student reported her bicycle stolen from Leon Street outside Behrakis Hall. She had locked it there at 3:30 p.m. the previous day and at 8:45 that night she noticed it gone, along with the cable and her helmet.

Friday, July 24

4 p.m.
Two Lake Hall employees reported a backpack, an Ipod and a Gameboy missing. They had finished for the day and went to retrieve their stuff from a room where employees leave their personal belongings when they noticed the items missing.

11 p.m.
A student reported his bicycle and cable stolen from Cabot Court. He had locked it there at 1 p.m. and returned to find it missing.

Saturday, July 25

1 a.m.
West Village G building employees heard music coming from an apartment that was supposed to be unoccupied, and a silent alarm from a tampered smoke detector in the room was tripped at Northeastern Department of Public Safety (NUPD) headquarters. Three male counselors, ages 23, 24 and 27, from the Summer Discovery program were found smoking marijuana, which they said they bought off someone in the street. Most of the high school students in the program had left the previous day, and the counselors were leaving the next morning.

7 p.m.
Two students returned home to their private apartment on Fenway Drive to find the door had been kicked in. They left the building and called NUPD. Officers checked the apartment. No one was inside and nothing was reported missing. Boston Police have been notified.

7 p.m.
A law student reported he left his laptop unattended in the law school for a few minutes. when he returned he saw a man with his backpack and computer walking towards the front door. The student yelled at the man, who turned and displayed a weapon looking similar to a nightstick, and urged him not to follow. The law student chased him across the street and called NUPD on his cell phone, but the man got away.

Sunday, July 26

1 a.m.
An officers patrol on Huntington Avenue came upon a fight at the corner of Huntington Avenue and St. Cyprian Street. Two people were fighting surrounded by a crowd. One was a 21 year-old male Northeastern student, the other a 21 year-old male who is not related to the university. The crowd also were not students at Northeastern. The student said that he was going to visit a friend who lives on St. Cyprian Street, and upon arriving noticed the door had been propped open. He kicked out the prop so the door would close behind him. There was a group standing in the street who yelled at him not to close the door so they could get back in and said they were at a party upstairs. The student refused and went back outside to confront the group. There were no major injuries, although the student was taken to the hospital. No charges were filed and the student will be reported to OSCCR.

A graduate student reported he was robbed after leaving the Marino Center to walk to his apartment on Parker Street. As he reached the vicinity of Wenworth, two men approached him, stole his backpack and threatened him with a gun. The Boston Police are investigating. He was offered assistance in temporarily relocating to campus, but is considering moving in with friends on St. Stephen Street. He said he knew about the off campus hourly escort van, but it had left the campus at 9 and so he chose to walk.

Monday, July 27

8 a.m.
A student reported her was bike stolen from Cabot Court. She had locked it up at 9 p.m. the previous day and came back to find the bike missing and the cut cable lying on the ground.

1 p.m.
A law student was sitting on the bench outside the law school in Richardson Plaza, under which he placed his laptop case. After ten minutes he left for the West Village Quad, leaving his belongings under the bench. When he realized they were missing and went back to retrieve them, they were gone. An hour later he got a call from an associate dean of the law school’ who had seen the laptop and took it for safe keeping.

4 p.m.
The Marino Center staff called to report offensive graffiti on the wall of the men’s public restroom on the first floor.