Northeastern Crime Log

By Colin Young, News Correspondent

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety Reports.

Wednesday, Aug. 12
9 a.m.
A student reported damage to his car, which had been parked in the North Lot. He told Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers that he had broken up with his girlfriend the night before. Upon questioning, the former girlfriend, also a student, admitted to keying the car but also told officers that she recently obtained a domestic assault restraining order against the male in question. Neither student wanted to press criminal charges and both will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Friday, Aug. 14
9 a.m.
NUPD arrested 21-year-old Boston resident Jhon Artega outside Curry Student Center. Mr. Artega had assaulted his former girlfriend, a food service worker, at her workplace in the student center. He was ordered to stay off Northeastern property.

A university employee left his office in Ryder Hall unlocked and upon his return found a stranger holding his laptop and cell phone. The employee grabbed the laptop from the man, who claimed to have mistaken the office for another, and the stranger fled with the cell phone in hand.

Sunday, Aug. 16
10:30 p.m
An NUPD officer saw a 20-year-old male on Huntington Avenue with a cup of beer in his hand. The officer found eight more beers in the student’s backpack. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

A caller reported two young teens attempting to steal a bicycle from a rack in West Village. Another witness told officers he had seen the same people near Speare Hall earlier in the evening. Upon contact with the suspects, officers found the teens were in possession of a bicycle tire and a pair of vice grips. A 14-year-old male was arrested for stealing the bicycle tire and will be prosecuted in Boston Juvenile Court.

Saturday, Aug. 22
1 a.m.
An officer on patrol encountered a 20-year-old student drinking a Bud Light on Hemenway Street. The beer was disposed of and the student will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, Aug. 23
1 a.m.
An officer saw a person urinating against 123 Hemenway St. The man was the same 20-year-old male the officer encountered drinking a beer on Hemenway Street the night before. He will be reported to OSCCR for both incidents.

Monday, Aug. 24
NUPD officers arrested Betru Tessema, 65, of Boston, for violating a previously issued trespass warning. Tessema was banned from campus for disorderly conduct in the Marino Center earlier in the month.

Tuesday, Aug. 25
2 p.m.
A Resident Director (RD) conducting room inspections in West Village C found marijuana and pipes in the room of two 20-year-old females. The students admitted to possessing the drug and pipes and will be reported to OSCCR.

Wednesday, Aug. 26
An NUPD officer arrested 48-year-old Josey Anthony, a Boston resident with no university affiliation, for violating a previously issued trespass ban.

Wednesday, Sept. 2
An NUPD officer on patrol saw a student urinating on Symphony Road. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, Sept. 3
3 p.m.
A caller reported a 29-year-old alumnus who arrived at Columbus Place demanding to speak to an administrator about getting a loan. The alumnus was identified by NUPD as Adam Drain of West Roxbury, a man who had previously been issued a trespass ban from campus. Drain was arrested on an outstanding warrant from a failure to appear in court.

Saturday, Sept. 5
10 p.m.
Two NUPD officers having a conversation on Burke Street saw two men walk by with backpacks on. As the men passed, the officers heard rattling from the backpacks. Upon questioning, each of the 19-year-old students were found to have 30 beers in their possession and will be reported to OSCCR.

An NUPD officer was flagged down by a taxi driver on Hemenway Street who had a severely intoxicated 21-year-old male student in his taxi. The student was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital by ambulance. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, Sept. 6
Several students called their Resident Director unsure what to do about their friend, who was severely intoxicated and in a taxi. The RD told the students to bring the male to the residence hall, where NUPD treated the 19-year-old before taking him to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. He will be reported to OSCCR.

2 a.m.
A proctor in West Village E reported a man was passed out in the lobby and had vomited on himself. NUPD responded and the 21-year-old student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

3 a.m.
An NUPD officer on Massachusetts Avenue was stopped by two people who reported an incident of road rage. The two people, who are not affiliated with the university, had honked their horn at another car and an occupant of the second car got out of the vehicle, pointed a gun at them and fled. The suspects’ car was stopped several blocks away by another NUPD officer and the suspects, Juan C. Cruz, 18, and Jose Vega, 33, were identified and arrested by the Boston Police Department (BPD). No gun was recovered.

9 p.m.
An NUPD officer on Huntington Avenue observed several people pacing outside a liquor store waiting for a man to exit. The group then followed the man, with bundles or purchases, around the corner. Another NUPD officer stopped several members of the group, including the 21-year-old student carrying the alcohol and a 19-year-old friend. A 21-year-old will be summonsed to court for procuring alcohol for a minor and the 19-year-old will be referred to OSCCR. Later another NUPD officer stopped two 19-year-old students and an 18-year-old Emmanuel student, who had all been part of the group outside the liquor store. The two 19-year-olds had empty backpacks and the 18-year-old had two 40 once bottles of malt liquor. The two NU students will be reported to OSCCR and the Emmanuel student will be reported to the school’s Department of Student Affairs.

Monday, Sept. 7
A male graduate student reported six juvenile males ran by him between Forsyth Street and the Back Bay Fens and stole his iPod. Ten minutes later a female student reported that a group of six juvenile males ran by her on The Fens and on punched her in the face. Both crimes were reported to NUPD and BPD.

Tuesday, Sept. 8
A Resident Assistant from Stetson West reported seeing a female pass out and vomit on the steps of the residence hall. NUPD treated the 18-year-old who, according to friends, was doing vodka shots at a party on Hemenway Street. She will be referred to OSCCR.