Northeastern Crime Log

By Colin Young, News Correspondent

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety Reports.

Tuesday, Sep. 8
9 p.m.
Northeastern Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers saw two males in an alley behind Kerr Hall smoking marijuana from a pipe. The males, ages 17 and 19, are Massachusetts College of Art students and will be reported to their dean. A small amount of marijuana and a pipe were confiscated.

Wednesday, Sep. 9
10:30 p.m.
NUPD officers were called to the Marino Center by staff members to report a man who had previously been banned from campus was in the food court. NUPD arrested 66-year-old Betru Tessema, who is a Boston resident, for violating a campus trespass ban.

12 p.m.
A law student returned to the law school at 10 a.m. and found her wallet and laptop were missing from her locked locker. Her ATM card was used at Ruggles Station shortly thereafter and NUPD is awaiting surveillance footage of the suspect from the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority.

On Sept. 13 NUPD was contacted by administrators from the law school with information that several other law students had been the victims of locker theft. An e-mail was sent to all law students advising them to be on alert.

8 p.m.
A student participating in a Welcome Week event at Centennial Quad left his laptop unattended on the grass. When he returned an hour later, it was missing. The laptop was returned Friday, Sep. 11, by a woman who picked it up at Centennial Quad and turned it into a universityoffice.

Thursday, Sep. 10
3:30 p.m.
A student living in International Village reported his bicycle missing from a rack outside the residence hall. He had locked the bike at the rack at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and upon returning the bike was missing and the thin cable he had locked it with was left behind. The bike is a 21-speed silver mountain bike valued at about $800.

Friday, Sep. 11
8:45 a.m.
A visitor reported she had borrowed an expensive handbag from her friend, a student, and left it unattended in the lobby of Stetson East. Fifteen minutes later, the handbag, along with the passport, credit cards, iPod and digital camera inside, was gone. The bag was made by Louis Vuitton and valued at $1,200.

4:30 p.m.
A student reported her purse missing after leaving it unattended in the Stetson East dining hall. The purse was later recovered by a food service worker.

9 p.m.
NUPD officers noticed three men walking on St. Stephen Street with two 30-packs of beer. The officers followed the men to the North Lot and asked the three for identification. The two males carrying the beer were a 21-year-old Berklee College of Music student and a 20-year-old Northeastern student. The third male was a Northeastern student under 21. The Berklee student will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court for procuring alcohol for minors and the two NU students will be reported to Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

9 p.m.
An NUPD officer on Huntington Avenue saw two males standing outside a liquor store hand money to a female who then exited the store with two 30-packs of beer and handed them off to the two males. The two males were a 19-year-old student and a 20-year-old student. They claimed to only know the female’s first name and NUPD is following several leads on her identity. Both males will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, Sep. 12
12:15 a.m.
A student called NUPD to report her 19-year-old boyfriend was vomiting blood in a cab on the way back to campus. The cab brought the students to NUPD headquarters where the male was evaluated by EMTs. Upon evaluation it was discovered that the student was not actually vomiting blood, but had had a nosebleed earlier. The male, who admitted to drinking off campus, will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m.
A Resident Assistant outside White Hall witnessed a male student fall at the entrance to the building and suffer a minor cut to his scalp. The 18-year-old was severely intoxicated and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for evaluation. He will be reported to OSCCR.

5 p.m.
A law student reported two books and a lock went missing from his locker in the Law School between 5 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday.

9:30 p.m.
An NUPD officer on Tremont Street saw the exchange of a 30-pack of beer between two males. When questioned, a 20-year-old student gave the NUPD officer a false name, false ID and a false phone number before giving his real identity. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, Sep. 13
12:30 a.m.
A proctor called NUPD officers to 407 Huntington Ave. because there was a student arguing with a taxi driver in the building’s lobby. The student didn’t have enough cash to pay the fare and an officer convinced the student to use his debit card. As the officer was facilitating the transaction, he found the student to be severely intoxicated. The student was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and will be reported to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m.
NUPD officers found a 19-year-old student stumbling along Columbus Avenue extremely intoxicated and covered in her own vomit. She was able to say that she was heading home from a party, but did not know where ‘home’ was. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:15 a.m.
An NUPD officer on Camden Street saw an 18-year-old student being carried by a 17-year-old student and an 18-year-old student. The 18-year-old was severely intoxicated and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. She will be reported to OSCCR. NUPD advised her friends to call an ambulance when someone is that intoxicated rather than trying to carry her home.

3 a.m.
An NUPD officer encountered an unsteady 18-year-old alone on Ruggles Street. She told the officer she was walking back to Speare Hall from a party on Mission Hill, where she had been drinking vodka. The officer transported her to Speare Hall and she will be reported to OSCCR.

2 p.m.
A male student reported he had locked his bicycle outside Behrakis Health Sciences Center at 9 p.m. on Saturday and returned to find both his bike and the thin cable it was locked with missing.

Monday, Sep. 14
2 p.m.
A 19-year-old female student reported her wallet missing. He said she had it in the outer pocket of her backpack as she went around campus all day. The wallet contained $100, her license and her ID.