Northeastern Crime Log

By Colin Young, News Staff

Tuesday, Nov. 17
9:15 a.m.
Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) arrested a 13-year-old who was walking around the upper floor of the Curry Student Center checking if doors were unlocked. A staff member saw the juvenile and brought him into an office until NUPD arrived. The teenager had previously been banned from campus and was arrested for trespassing.

10:30 a.m.
A student reported he left his laptop in the lobby of Shillman Hall on Nov. 13 for about 30 minutes around noon. When he returned, his laptop was gone.

8:45 p.m.
A Resident Assistant (RA) in Kennedy Hall smelled the odor of marijuana coming from a room on the third floor. Officers responded and identified two 18-year-old male residents and a 19-year-old male guest and confiscated a small amount of marijuana, several marijuana pipes and some beer. All three students will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

9 p.m.
A student left her cellphone unattended between 7:30 and 8 p.m. on the first floor of the Curry Student Center and when she returned, her phone was gone.

9:30 p.m.
An NUPD detective went to the third floor of Willis Hall to follow up on information regarding drug use in the residence halls and interviewed two 19-year-old residents. The detective confiscated several pipes, marijuana residue, a grinder, several small baggies and a half-smoked roach. Both students will be reported to OSCCR.

Wednesday, Nov. 18
10:30 a.m.
A student said she saw her stolen bicycle in Centennial Common and reported it to NUPD. Officers left a note on the bike asking the owner to contact them and a student called and said he got the bike from the bike shop in Worcester where he worked. Officers confirmed that the bike did come from that bike shop but did belong to the female caller and it was returned to her.

2:15 p.m.
A student reported that while walking on St. Stephen Street a man passed her, touched her inappropriately, made a crude comment and ran off.

4:30 p.m.
A law student reported three books were missing from her locker in the law building. Another law student also reported a missing book.

11:30 p.m.
A student reported her laptop and power chord were stolen from the fourth floor of Snell Library. She said she left it charging at an outlet behind her.

Thursday, Nov. 19
11:30 a.m.
A student reported her backpack, containing her laptop, wallet and two books, was stolen from the first floor of Snell Library. She said she left the backpack unattended for five minutes.

2 p.m.
A student called NUPD to report her bicycle had been stolen from Centennial Common. The thin cable she used to lock her bike was broken and left at the bike rack.

9 p.m.
An NUPD detective went to 110 St. Stephen St. to interview a 19-year-old student about drug use in the residence halls. The detective confiscated a window fan, a roach, bottles of wine and liquor, more than two ounces of marijuana, several small baggies and other evidence of drug distribution. The student admitted he had been selling drugs out of his apartment and was reported to OSCCR.

Friday, Nov. 20
12:30 p.m.
A graduate student reported his laptop had been stolen from Snell Library. He left the laptop in the library at 10 p.m. on Thursday and returned at noon Friday to find it gone.

4:15 p.m.
A 23-year-old was walking through Centennial Common while talking on his cell phone when a young male approached him, grabbed his cell phone and ran off.

10:30 p.m.
An NUPD officer on Huntington Avenue saw a 21-year-old non-student leave a liquor store, walk around a corner towards St. Stephen Street and pass a bottle of vodka, a bottle of wine and a 30 pack of beer to an 18-year-old non-student . The 21-year-old male will be summonsed to court for procuring alcohol for a minor.

11:30 p.m.
An officer on Hemenway Street encountered a 20-year-old student walking down the street drinking out of a wine bag. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, Nov. 21
3 a.m.
An officer on Camden Street encountered four students fighting. The officer stopped the fight and while identifying the students found one 20-year-old in possession of his 21-year-old brother’s ID. None of the students accepted medical attention and did not want to press charges. All four students will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, Nov. 22
1:15 a.m.
A 19-year-old student was carried into the lobby of West Village C by several unknown people and left there. The student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m.
An RA reported a fight on the third floor of Stetson East. Officers responded and found a student with a bloody nose. The student was sitting in his room when he heard someone outside his room tampering with the door. He opened the door and found another student taking whiteboards and signs off other doors. When he confronted the student removing the items, the student punched him twice before the alleged aggressor ran upstairs. Officers spoke to the’ him and the RA and discovered he also kicked the student in the face while he was on the ground. NUPD arrested the alleged aggressor, 18-year-old student Jason Miranda for felonious assault and he will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m.
Officers were called to Stetson West where an 18-year-old female student had been vomiting in the second floor women’s room for an hour. Upon assessing her condition, officers determined that she did not need medical attention. She will be reported to OSCCR.

Tuesday, November 24

9:30 p.m.

An 18-year-old male student reported that about 10 days earlier he was approached in Krentzman Quad by a well-dressed man who said he needed cash to pay for car repairs. The man convinced the student to go to an ATM and withdraw $450 cash in exchange for a $500 check, which bounced a few days later. The student reported that he saw the man in Krentzman Quad again and chased him on foot but did not catch him.

Friday, Nov. 27
11:30 p.m.
A student in International Village reported he had been receiving several harassing phone calls from a high school acquaintance. NUPD contacted the acquaintance, who denied making the calls. Officers told the acquaintance that if the calls did not stop he would face criminal charges.

Sunday, Nov. 29
10 p.m.
An officer outside Smith Hall noticed a bicycle locked with a thin cable to a bench and called the NUPD dispatcher to have one of the security cameras zoomed in to watch the vulnerable bicycle. The bicycle was stolen a short time later and officers located the thief, a 37-year-old Boston man with no connection to the university, at an apartment on Gainsborough Street. Officers recovered the bicycle and are waiting for the owner to contact them.

Monday, Nov. 30
3:30 p.m.
A graduate student reported he left his office in the Dana Research building for five minutes and found his laptop and a colleague’s laptop were stolen when he returned. A third graduate student who remained in the office saw a stranger walk into the office and leave 15 seconds later.

9 p.m.
Two residents of a private apartment at 214 Hemenway St. reported that while they were gone for Thanksgiving break they left their door unlocked, and their laptops were stolen from their room. Another roommate, who stayed at the apartment over the break, did not notice anyone suspicious in or around the apartment.

11 p.m.
Officers were called to Kerr Hall where an RA had smelled the odor of marijuana. Officers spoke to an 18-year-old student who admitted to smoking marijuana. Officers confiscated a small bag of marijuana and a pipe. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

11:30 p.m.
NUPD was called to Stetson West where an intoxicated 18-year-old was vomiting in the first floor men’s room. The student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.