NU hockey wins UNH series

By Emily Pagliaroli, news correspondent

The Northeastern women’s hockey team took on University of New Hampshire (UNH) in the quarterfinals of the Hockey East Championship this weekend. The three-game series started on Friday with a 2-1 loss to UNH, but NU came back Saturday afternoon with a 3-2 win to tie the series. Game three was on Sunday afternoon and the Huskies secured their place in the semifinals for the fifth straight year with a 4-3 win over UNH.

Freshman forward Denisa Krizova was named the Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week in Hockey East on Monday in recognition of her six points in three games over the weekend. In Saturday night’s win, she scored the game-winning goal. Krizova previously received the honor in November and January.

Senior co-captain Chloe Desjardins started in net Friday night for NU and sophomore goaltender Ashley Wilkes started for UNH.

In a scoreless first period, Desjardins made 14 saves.

Early in the second period, freshman forward Denisa Krizova received a penalty for goaltender interference. UNH used its man advantage to sneak one past Desjardins. Just three minutes later, Krizova came down the ice and sent a crisp pass to freshman defenseman Lauren Kelly, who slapped it home to tie the game.

Just 17 seconds into the third period, UNH secured the lead for good. Sophomore forward Cassandra Vilgrain took the puck and put it just inside the right post. The Huskies had great attack and pulled Desjardins in the last minutes of play, but UNH secured the 2-1 win and led the series.

On Saturday afternoon, the teams battled once again at Matthews Arena with Desjardins and Wilkes starting in net.

Senior forward Chelsiea Goll started the attack early in the first with her second goal of the season. Goll snuck the puck past the far post to put the Huskies up 1-0. Desjardins managed to keep UNH off the board for the first period. With less than a minute remaining, senior defenseman Colleen Murphy received a penalty for cross checking.

The Huskies started off the second period fighting off the remainder of Murphy’s penalty. UNH capitalized on the final seconds of its power play when senior defenseman Caroline Broderick landed the puck in the back of the net to tie the game. NU had many chances throughout the second period, but Wilkes denied them all.

With five minutes left in regulation, UNH senior forward Hannah Armstrong received a penalty for interference and the Huskies regained their lead. Coyne came around the net and slammed one home to make the score 2-1.

Broderick came back with her second goal of the game with just over two minutes left to play. Thirty seconds later, Coyne took the puck up the ice and unsuccessfully tried to put a one-timer past Wilkes. Krizova followed up with the rebound to secure a 3-2 win over UNH.

On Sunday, NU and UNH squared off for the final game the series. Desjardins and Wilkes started in net for the two teams.

Early in the first period, the Huskies went on the power play and Coyne received her first goal of the game. She fired one past Wilkes from the point to give NU the 1-0 lead. Freshman forward Ali Praus came back midway through the period to tie the game 1-1.

UNH earned its first lead of the game early in the second period when freshman forward Amy Boucher capitalized on a three-on-one in Husky territory.

Less than a minute later, junior defenseman Jordan Krause took a clean shot from the point that flew just past Wilkes’ shoulder to tie the game once again.

The Huskies came back to the third period ready to finish what they started. Coyne received her second goal of the game midway through the third period. UNH was called for slashing and Coyne used the man advantage to tip one into the back of the net for a 3-2 lead. Coyne completed her third hat trick of the season, seventh of her career, just two minutes later on a breakaway, to make the score 4-2.

With less than five minutes left, UNH pulled Wilkes and took advantage of the extra offensive man. That would be the end of its attack as the Huskies secured the 4-3 win.

“Our backs were against the wall losing the first game,” Head Coach Dave Flint said. “We had to come back and win two hard fought games and now we’re off to Hyannis [for the semifinals].”

Only two other conference schools, Boston University (BU) and Boston College, are also making their fifth-straight semifinal appearance.

“It’s huge, obviously,” said Coyne about winning the series. “Just getting back to Hyannis – especially for our seniors. It’s exciting just to get back at BU.”

Coyne and the No. 3 Huskies will advance to the semifinals against No. 2 seed Boston University on Saturday, March 7 at 4:30 p.m.

Photo courtesy Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics