Northeastern Crime Log

By Nick Mendez

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports. Crime Log Entry of the Week Thursday, May 24 9 p.m. A professor reported that a student in his 40s was acting inappropriately in class. The student reportedly made remarks that made the professor uncomfortable and worried for her safety and the safety of other students. He had become very aggressive during an argument about grades. Officers located him walking calmly outside the building and he was told not to return to the class. He will be reported to OSCCR and the appropriate dean’s office will also respond.

Monday, May 21 11 a.m. A 20-year-old female student reported being assaulted by her 21-year-old female roommate during a weekend trip. The two students had gone to New York to celebrate the 21-year-old’s birthday and were involved in a physical confrontation in a club and again in their shared hotel room. There were no injuries and the student didn’t want to press charges. Her roommate will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Tuesday, May 22 9 a.m. A female staff member on the first floor of Lake Hall reported leaving her office unlocked for several hours May 18. When she returned, her purse and her cell phone were missing.

4:30 p.m. A male staff member reported locking his bicycle in the West Village quad at 11 a.m. When he returned, the bicycle and its lock were missing.

Wednesday, May 23 10 a.m. A Northeastern Police Department (NUPD) officer assigned to a traffic safety post at the Parcel 18 construction project reported seeing two youths, who had previously been warned to stay off university property, entering Ruggles station from Columbus Avenue. Officers on the other side of the station located the youths entering Snell library minutes later. NUPD arrested Musa Jawarakim, 18, and Zilgarian Mays, 18, for trespassing.

9 p.m. A resident assistant (RA) detected the odor of marijuana on the second floor of Burstein Hall. NUPD officers knocked on the 21-year-old male student’s apartment door while another officer observed the building from the rear. This officer discovered a scale and other drug paraphernalia in the alley underneath the student’s window. NUPD confiscated $100, but no drugs were found in the room. The incident is still under investigation and the student will be reported to OSCCR.

Thursday, May 24 12:30 p.m. A 26-year-old male student reported locking his bicycle outside Snell Library at 9 a.m. When he returned, the bicycle was missing. Officers reviewed security camera footage and discovered the bicycle was stolen just minutes before the student returned.

Friday, May 25 3 a.m An anonymous call to 911 requested an ambulance at West Village C. When the ambulance responded, the building proctor contacted NUPD. Officers arrived and discovered a 21-year-old female resident had been taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center due to intoxication. The student and her roommates had been drinking off-campus.

1 p.m. A 21-year-old male student reported his wallet was stolen while he was at Wollaston’s. The student was unsure whether he left the wallet on the counter or if he was pick-pocketed.

Saturday, May 26 8 p.m. A 22-year-old male student left his bicycle locked on World Series Way between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Upon his return the bicycle and its cable lock were missing.

Sunday, May 27 3 a.m. Boston Police Department (BPD) reported to NUPD via radio that an assault occurred on Hemenway Street and the suspects had fled toward campus. NUPD officers detained two individuals matching the suspects’ descriptions outside Willis Hall. BPD officers brought the victim, a 27-year-old male, to the scene and he positively identified both suspects. BPD officers arrested a 21-year-old male student and his 25-year-old male friend for assault. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

11 a.m. Several members of the men’s crew team returned to the university boathouse and discovered their wallets missing from the locker room. The lockers and the door to the room were all unlocked. Five of the six stolen wallets were later turned in anonymously to state police in Brighton.

11:30 a.m. A female student reported a man exposing himself in Snell Library. NUPD officers responded and arrested Timothy Pointer, 39, for lewd behavior. Pointer’s last known address was discovered to be a homeless shelter. He also had similar charges pending in Washington state.

Thursday, May 31 11:30 a.m. A 23-year-old male student reported locking his bicycle outside Shillman Hall at 9 a.m. When he returned, the bicycle and its lock were missing.

10:30 p.m. An anonymous caller reported a fight inside an apartment at 115 St. Stephen St. The fight was so loud the caller could hear yelling from the street. Officers responded and discovered a couple in their 20s arguing. Both admitted to having argued loudly, but denied any assault.

Friday, June 1 On five separate occasions in the morning, Snell Library staff reported high school-aged youths signed into the library. On each occasion the youths told NUPD they had claimed to have no school that day, when in fact they were truant. Officers removed a 15-year-old female, a 16-year-old male, a 16-year-old female, a 17-year-old male, a 17-year-old female, three 18-year-old males and two 19-year-old males and gave them trespass warnings.

Saturday, June 2 4:30 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported locking her bicycle outside Snell Engineering at noon and upon her return only the front tire and lock remained.