Magician to hypnotize Blackman audience

By Derek Hawkins

Combining real hypnosis with pop music, comedy and some sleight-of-hand magic, Kevin Hurley makes audience members the subconscious stars of his show. Brave volunteers mistake napkins for $100 bills, forget their last names and fall asleep standing up, all at Hurley’s hypnotic command.

The nationally-known hypnotist, magician and comedian will kick off a 40-stop nationwide tour tonight in Blackman Auditorium at 7 p.m.

Hurley, 25, from Pittsburgh, Pa., is a licensed hypnotherapist, but in the past five years he has transformed his trade into a form of entertainment.

“I’d done magic since I was about 10 years old, but I realized I liked hypnotism more,” Hurley said. “I never know how people are going to react when I hypnotize them. It’s always something new and fresh.”

Since he took his act on the road, Hurley has performed more than 2,500 times and shared the bill with a list of well-known musicians and entertainers that includes Ludacris, Tom Petty and Nine Inch Nails.

“Show business, I’ve realized, is a lot of work,” Hurley said. “When I’m not on the road, I’m usually working over the Internet, updating my pages, booking, that sort of thing. But the feedback is good. It’s rewarding.”

Hurley’s visit to Northeastern is part of Welcome Week 2007, sponsored by the Campus Activities Office.

“I think students will enjoy it,” said Erin Dayharsh, assistant director of Campus Activities and programs. “Hypnotists and magicians do very well here.”

She added that tickets, which are free to Northeastern students, have been in high demand since they were released Friday.

Hurley has performed at colleges around the country, but tonight’s show will mark his first time at Northeastern.

“Northeastern has a good reputation and it’s a big school, so I’m anticipating a pretty interesting show,” he said. “My goal is to bring a lot of people on stage and just put on a fun, high-energy performance.”

Students can pick up tickets at the Blackman Auditorium ticket center in Ell Hall from noon until 6 p.m. today.