Middler provides cushy bed options

When Dan Dietz, now a middler business major, came to Northeastern his freshmen year, he was greeted with something many people find in a residence hall: uncomfortable mattresses.

After moving into Stetson East, which Dietz called “hell,” he knew he had to find a way to make his sleeping arrangement more comfortable.

“I bought an egg crate, but it didn’t do anything for me. It fell apart immediately,” Dietz said.

Three years and two residence halls into college, Dietz understands the benefits of a good night’s sleep, so he has started his own company, DormBeds.com.

Dietz “vows to offer revolutionary memory foam mattresses, mattress toppers and pillows to help change that hard, uncomfortable dorm bed, into a luxurious place to rejuvenate from long days and nights,” according to the company’s website

What separates Dietz’s company from others, however, are his prices.

“When you’re in college, you don’t have the budget for an expensive mattress,” Dietz said.

Coupled with tuition, living expenses can thin out a student’s wallet. Just because they don’t have money, Dietz said students shouldn’t suffer with uncomfortable sleep.

For example, a twin extra long memory foam mattress topper costs $120. The larger the size, the more it costs. A queen latex foam pillow costs about $80. A twin extra long memory foam mattress costs about $400. Shipping is free.

The demand for the products has been high, Dietz said. Since the company is online, Dietz receives requests from around the country. One limitation is that DormBeds.com does not yet ship overseas.

Dietz could not pinpoint an exact number of products he has sold, but said that “it has been crazy, and hectic to keep up.”

Dietz, who did his first co-op last spring with International Forest Product, credits the company for learning the tricks of the trade.

“Seeing how they handled themselves, their procedures and their strategies helped me conceive my plan,” Dietz said. “My co-op definitely played a role in me creating my company.”

While Dietz’s parents have been supportive of the company, their only demand was for Dietz to not allow his work to conflict with his education, Dietz said.

Some of his friends, even though not surprised, were skeptical about his decision to start a company.

“They could laugh all they want, but I’m a college student and I run my own business and it’s being taken pretty seriously,” Dietz said.

In the future, Dietz said he would like to expand the company as much as possible.

“We are looking to add different variations of mattresses and looking into shipping boxsprings, since those are really expensive to ship,” Dietz said. “I also want to add more bed sheets, comforters, the whole nine yards; basically anything that can make your sleep more comfortable.”