Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collette

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Sunday, September 8 12:45 a.m. Boston Police Department requested that Northeastern University Police Department officers meet them at Symphony Market, where a 22-year-old male student tipped over a display rack, had opened food and started eating without paying. The student cleaned up the store, paid for the food he had already opened and was told he was not longer welcome to shop there. Symphony Market did not press criminal charges and the student will be reported to Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. About two hours later, NUPD officers discovered the student lying on the sidewalk of Forsyth Street. Officers woke him up but he began to threaten the officers. He was eventually taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical.

Tuesday, September 4 4:45 p.m. Northeastern University Police Depeartment officers (NUPD) responded to Snell Library after staff recognized a man who was known by library staff for suspicious behavior in the past. An officer spoke with and arrested Patrick Griffis, 41, who was wanted on a default arrest warrant in Somerville for a motor vehicle violation.

8:30 p.m. Officers noticed a group of people in the Fens near Kerr Hall who appeared to be smoking marijuana. Officers and questioned the three men, none of whom were students. They admitted to sharing a blunt, were questioned and searched. Cesarin Ortiz, 21, of Dorchester, was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court.

11:30 p.m. An NUPD officer on patrol on St. Stephen Street saw a man carrying an open beer. The man said he was 21-years-old and NUPD reminded him that drinking alcohol from an open container in public is illegal. Later, he admitted he was a 20-year-old student. The beer was disposed of and he will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, September 5 9 p.m. A 19-year-old male student reported he left his first floor apartment in Davenport Commons at about 7 p.m. and that when he returned his laptop was missing. NUPD officers found no sign of forced entry but noticed wires from the computer were hanging out a window. The window was open about five inches and officers believe someone was able to reach in and take the computer.

10 p.m. Residence Life staff in Kennedy Hall reported finding a bag of marijuana on the floor in the corridor. They gave it to NUPD officers, who disposed of it.

11:45 p.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) from Stetson East reported smelling marijuana in a fourth floor corridor. Officers could not determine where the smell was coming from so they left. Officers returned at 12:20 a.m., where they encountered an 18-year-old female student going into a room, which smelled like marijuana. The 17- and 18-year-old residents, as well as their guests, two 18-year-old male students and a 17-year-old female student, admitted they had been smoking in the room and turned over a pipe. They will be reported to OSCCR. NUPD is investigating who brought the drugs to the room.

Thursday, September 6 5:30 p.m. An 18-year-old student reported her laptop stolen from her Loftman Hall room. Officers interviewed suitemates and discovered that at 3 p.m. someone saw a man in his 30s leaving the room the computer was stolen from, but assumed he was a staff member. The student wasn’t sure the man had taken anything and the event didn’t originally raise her suspicion enough to call NUPD.

8:30 p.m. An officer on Huntington Avenue was walking behind a female student after she exited a liquor store and saw her carrying a bag. He heard her call someone on her cell phone, telling that person she would meet them outside her residence hall. The officer followed the 21-year-old student to West Village H, where she turned over two bottles of vodka and a bottle of rum to two 18-year-old females and an 18-year-old male. All four students will be reported to OSCCR, and the 21-year-old student will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court.

9:30 p.m. An NUPD officer saw two people exchanging alcohol outside of 319 Huntington Ave. They split up as the officer approached, but a 19-year-old student was stopped as he entered the building. NUPD officers confiscated a bottle of vodka and a bottle of whiskey. The student would not identify who purchased the alcohol for him. He will be reported to OSCCR.

11 p.m. A 21-year-old male Berklee student passed a bottle of vodka to a 20-year-old male Northeastern student on St. Stephen Street. The Berklee student will be summonsed to Roxbury District court and the Northeastern student will be referred to OSCCR.

11:30 p.m. NUPD officers responded to calls of two groups of people fighting in front of the Museum of Fine Arts. The group dispersed as officers approached, but NUPD officers was able to identify several individuals, one of which was a Wentworth student who had been stopped several hours earlier for purchasing alcohol for another student. No one in the fight wanted to press charges, so no one was arrested. One of the people in the group, Rodney Brown, 25, of Dorchester, was wanted on a default warrant in Brookline and arrested.

Friday, September 7 11 p.m. Officers stopped and questioned a 19-year-old Emmanuel student being carried down Columbus Avenue and learned she had come to visit friends at Davenport Commons. Her friends claimed she was intoxicated when she arrived, fell in their apartment and hit her head. The students recognized she was suffering from a concussion, and decided to bring her home. The Emmanuel student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical by ambulance.

11:30 p.m. A proctor in Rubenstein Hall called NUPD to report that, for the third time that night, a student had left the building to vomit. When she returned the third time, she left her ID on the proctor’s desk. NUPD found the 19-year-old student and she was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical. She will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, September 8 3 a.m. An 18-year-old student was seen vomiting in a third floor Stetson West bathroom. NUPD found the student in her room, where she admitted to drinking at an off-campus party. She was not in need of medical attention but will be reported to OSCCR.

5 p.m. An officer saw a 19-year-old male student carrying a 30-pack of beer in a nylon gym bag across the West Village Quad. He did not say where he got the beer. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, September 9 12:30 a.m. Officers stopped an 18-year-oldmale non-student, on Huntington Avenue who was carrying a beer can. Officers discovered the can was empty but that he was also carrying a marijuana pipe and a small amount of marijuana. He claimed to be on his way to visit students on campus. He was told not to return to campus.

2 a.m. NUPD officers responded to complaints of a party in a basement apartment at 103 Gainsborough St. The door was open and officers could see empty alcohol containers, a bong and marijuana residue throughout the apartment. The residents are 19- and 20- year-old male students and they will be reported to OSCCR.

Noon Residence hall staff in Stetson West reported offensive graffiti on walls, ceilings and mirrors throughout the first and second floors. The Resident Director held mandatory floor meetings on Monday night, stressing that the behavior was unacceptable. An NUPD officer reiterated the message and asked students to help identify who was responsible.

Monday, September 10 2:50 p.m. An NUPD officer at the Parcel 18 construction site reported hearing gunshots and saw two men run past him toward Tremont Street. He pursued them on foot and apprehended a 16-year-old male at the intersection of Tremont Street and Melnea Cass Avenue. Boston, MBTA and State Police searched the area and found a gun near where the 16-year-old was caught. Officials are confident they will identify the other man, either from Renaissance Park security cameras or from fingerprints on the gun. No one reported being shot at, though two other men were seen running from the scene toward the Ruggles station. The 16-year-old will be charged with disorderly conduct unless witnesses come forward.

9:15 p.m. An NUPD officer on St. Stephen Street heard a man and woman arguing and saw the man, Ernest Semavore, a 21-year-old male student, strike his girlfriend. He denied striking his girlfriend, who is not a Northeastern student, and was arrested for assault and battery.