Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collete

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Wednesday, September 12 9 p.m.

The Boston Police Department (BPD) requested Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) assistance at an apartment on Parker Street, where they were investigating a report of a person firing a BB gun out of a window, allegedly hitting nearby windows and a female pedestrian. BPD identified the suspect, a 23-year-old male student visiting the apartment’s residents, who were Boston College (BC) students. BPD believes the gun belonged to one of the BC students, and continued to investigate after NUPD left the scene. The Northeastern student will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Thursday, September 13 8:20 p.m.

An NUPD officer observed a 24-year-old male student walking down Huntington Avenue with alcohol he had just purchased at a nearby liquor store. He met another male, a 19-year-old student, and gave him a bottle of vodka and a bottle of rum. The officer stopped the men, who will both be reported to OSCCR. The 24-year-old student will also be summonsed to Roxbury District Court.

10 p.m. NUPD officers on Gainsborough Street saw a 19-year-old male student carrying a 30-pack of beer and a bottle of vodka. He gave the beer to another 19-year-old male Northeastern student. NUPD intervened, and determined that the purchaser had used his 24-year-old brother’s driver’s license to purchase the alcohol. Both students will be reported to OSCCR and the student who purchased the alcohol will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court under charges of illegal use of another person’s driver’s license, possession of alcohol by a minor and procuring alcohol for a minor.

10:30 p.m. An NUPD officer saw a man leave a liquor store and walk down Huntington Avenue with a 24-pack of beer. He put it down on the sidewalk and kept walking. The officer then saw three other men approach, pick up the beer and keep walking. All three were 20-year-old students who will be reported to OSCCR. They would not identify the man who purchased the beer.

Friday, September 14 2 a.m. A caller reported two vomiting and intoxicated students on the fourth floor of Rubenstein Hall. Officers discovered an 18-year-old male student and a 20-year-old male student. Both students were evaluated by EMTs, who determined they were well enough to return to their apartments. They will be reported to OSCCR.

8:30 p.m. NUPD officers stopped two male students, 19-and-20-years old, as they were walking out of a liquor store empty-handed. An officer questioned them as to why they had gone in and out of the store and the students admitted that they had tried to purchase alcohol using a fake ID, but the clerk would not sell them anything. Both students will be reported to OSCCR and the student with the fake ID will be reported to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) and the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

Saturday, September 15 3 a.m. NUPD officers were flagged down by students on Columbus Avenue saying that a man pulled a knife on one of them as they were leaving a party. They gave police a vague description of the man. NUPD and BPD officers canvassed the scene, but found neither the suspect nor a knife. The student who alleged to having had the knife pulled on him refused to identify himself to police and told his friends not to do so either.

Sunday, September 16 12:30 a.m. A proctor at Loftman Hall reported intoxicated students entering the residence hall. NUPD discovered two female students, 18-and -19 years old sick in their third floor apartment. The 19-year-old student was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital by ambulance. The 18-year-old was evaluated by EMTs, who determined she was well enough to stay in her apartment. Both students will be reported to OSCCR.

1:15 a.m. A caller reported two males carrying an intoxicated female through the Snell Library Quad. When officers arrived, they discovered a heavily intoxicated 18-year-old female alone. Her roommate arrived, saying someone had called her cell phone saying to meet her roommate on Columbus Avenue because she had left a party but was too drunk to get home safely. The intoxicated student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m. NUPD responded to a noise complaint about a loud party at 74 Symphony Rd., a private apartment building. When officers asked residents to turn down their music, the residents were cooperative and complied. As the officer got outside, a 20-year-old male student began swearing at the officer and spat at the officer’s car, saying they had no right to interrupt the party. The student was sent on his way and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m. A 23-year-old female student reported that as she was leaving Our House East, she noticed her cell phone was missing from her purse, which had been out of her sight for a large part of the evening. When she called her cell phone, a man answered and said he would return it if she met him in Chinatown with $200. NUPD advised that the student not retrieve the phone.

6:15 p.m. A 21-year-old male student who lives in a Gainsborough Street apartment discovered the windshield of his car, which had been parked in a rented spot in the alley behind his building, had been shattered by a beer bottle. Neighbors told NUPD that they had seen the bottle come out of an apartment at 69 Gainsborough St. at 1 a.m. the previous night. Officers visited the apartment, where the residents admitted to having a party but not to throwing a bottle. NUPD are investigating the incident.

Monday, September 17 3 p.m. Fire marshals noticed three smoke detectors removed from their anchors in a West Village H apartment during the weekend. Representative’s from Northeastern’s Fire Safety Unit visited the apartment, where a resident claimed he did not know where the smoke detectors were. The student located them in a kitchen drawer and the smoke detectors were reinstalled. Later in the evening, an NUPD detective met with all four of the apartment’s residents, where one resident admitted that he was cooking on Sunday morning at 2 a.m. and had removed the smoke detectors because he didn’t want to wake up his roommates. The student who removed the smoke detectors will be reported to OSCCR for tampering with fire safety equipment.