Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collete

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Friday, September 21 3:15 p.m. Northeastern Division of Public Safety (NUPD) received a call about an expelled student, who had been banned from Northeastern, being on campus near the Egan Research Center. Officers located the former student, Shawn Bowden, 22, of Boston, driving his car on the service road behind Snell Library. Bowden had been expelled from Northeastern in September 2006 after being charged with robbing another student and since has been charged with intimidating a witness in connection to that case. He was accompanied by a 22-year-old male student, who NUPD sent on his way, and Edmund Charles, 22, of Boston, who was charged with trespassing because he was also banned from campus after last year’s robbery charge. Charles had in his possession several small bags of marijuana and a sizeable amount of cash. Charles will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court on charges of trespassing and possession of marijuana with intent to sell.

Tuesday, September 18 10:30 p.m. A Northeastern Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officer on Coventry Street saw a car parked under a “No Parking” sign. As he was ticketing the car, he noticed two 24-packs of beer on the seat. The owner of the car, a 19-year-old female student, returned to the car from her apartment in 10 Coventry and the officer asked her about the beer. She said she had driven a 21-year-old friend, from Bentley ,who purchased the alcohol. She said the friend took some drinks to her apartment, but left the beer and a bottle of rum behind. She said she thought 18-year-olds could possess alcohol, as long as it wasn’t open. The officer confiscated the alcohol and the student will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, September 19 1:30 a.m. An NUPD officer on The Fenway noticed a man urinating on the sidewalk in front of Melvin Hall. He questioned the student, an 18-year-old Melvin resident. On a nearby bench was a 30-pack of beer, which the student admitted was his. The student said he was on his way home, but couldn’t wait any longer to go to the bathroom. The beer was confiscated and the student will be reported to OSCCR.

10:30 p.m. An NUPD officer near the intersection of Hemenway and Forsyth streets saw two pedestrians who appeared to be smoking. As the officer passed them on his bicycle, he smelled marijuana. The two 18-year-old male students admitted they had just finished a joint and handed over rolling papers. They will be reported to OSCCR.

Friday, September 21 12:30 a.m. A proctor in West Village A requested NUPD assistance after an intoxicated woman attempted to enter the building as a guest of a resident using an ID that wasn’t hers. The 21-year-old female student was evaluated by EMTs and escorted by NUPD officers to her apartment in Douglass Park. Officers then visited the room the intoxicated female tried to enter and retrieved the ID from one of the residents. The female student will be reported to OSSCR.

10:30 p.m. An NUPD officer on World Series Way encountered a 25-year-old male student drinking from an open container of alcohol and told him to dispose of it. The student responded by drinking more of it. After being told to dispose of it again, the student made threatening gestures toward the officer. As he was being arrested for disorderly conduct, NUPD found that he had marijuana and pills that he did not have a prescription for. The student, John Johnston, 25, will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court for drinking in public, disorderly conduct, possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substances. He will also be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, September 22 12:30 a.m. A 19-year-old male student was walking his friend, an 18-year-old female student, home from an off-campus party at 214 Hemenway St. when he noticed she was extremely intoxicated. He took her to Willis Hall, and asked the proctor to call NUPD because he wanted her to be evaluated. When EMTs arrived, she was unconscious, but shortly after, she vomited and regained consciousness. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical for treatment and will be reported to OSSCR.

12:30 a.m. Officers asked a group of students to move from a doorway as EMTs were attempting to enter Willis Hall. One students was moved by his friend after the officers’ second warning. As the friend moved the first student, he directed vulgar comments at the officers, saying that he was a student and therefore could do anything he wanted on campus, adding that the NUPD officers were not real police officers. The officers asked the student for his ID and he initially refused. When he did produce his ID, officers discovered that as a high school student, he lost a part-time job at Northeastern for possessing marijuana. He will be reported to OSCCR for his encounter with NUPD that evening, as well as for his earlier incident.

12:30 a.m. Callers reported a fight near 216 Gainsborough St. As officers arrived, a crowd was dispersing from the building, as was a crowd from a nearby building. Officers asked students to keep moving and to get on the sidewalk. Two 22-year-old students, one male and the other female, ignored requests from officers to get out of the street. The male student directed vulgar comments at an officer and both will be reported to OSCCR.

1 a.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) in West Village F knocked on the door of an apartment and asked the residents to quiet down. When the RA saw beer in the apartment, he called NUPD for assistance. Officers and the RA found 74 cans of beer, as well as an empty bottle of vodka. The 18-year-old resident of the room admitted they were his, but said they had accumulated during the course of the semester, not just that evening. He will be reported to OSSCR.

1 a.m. An RA in Stetson East requested NUPD assistance after finding a semi-conscious, intoxicated woman in a third floor women’s restroom. Officers discovered the 18-year-old female visitor who was semi-conscious and accompanied by the 18-year-old female student she was visiting, who said that they had both attended an off-campus party and that her friend must have been drinking without her knowledge. EMTs evaluated the guest and determined she was well enough to stay on campus.

2:30 a.m. An RA on duty in Davenport Commons B discovered an unconscious man laying in a puddle of his own vomit in a second floor corridor. His identification showed he was a 20-year-old male with no afhiliation to Northeastern. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical. NUPD found he had been signed in by a 19-year-old female resident. When they visited her room, her roommates said she had gone home for the weekend.

3:15 a.m. An RA in Smith Hall reported a 17-year-old male student was vomiting. He was taken to Boston Medical Center for treatment. He was conscious enough to say that he had been drinking at his brother’s off-campus apartment. He will be reported to OSCCR.

1 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported that she had put her cell phone for sale on Craigslist and made arrangements to meet the purchaser at Ruggles Station. The purchaser did not want to pass through the fare gates, so he asked the student to pass him the phone so that he could look at it. He took the phone, ran down the stairs without paying for tit and got on a train. The student has the man’s phone number and e-mail address, which NUPD gave to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority police.

3:15 p.m. An RA on the fourth floor of Kennedy Hall requested NUPD assistance after detecting the odor of marijuana in a room that the RA staff had suspected of marijuana earlier that year. Two of the four 18-year-old female residents admitting to smoking and turned over a small amount of marijuana, while the other two said they were not smoking but were in the room at the time. All four will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, September 23 5:30 p.m. An RA in Speare Hall reported the odor of marijuana and requested NUPD assistance. Officers knocked on the door, and the 18-year-old male resident who opened the door seemed surprised to see the officers and stuck something down the front of his pants. The officers and the RA saw a marijuana pipe in the room and the resident also turned over a bong, a marijuana cutter and the marijuana he had stuck down his pants. An 18-year-old female student turned over a pipe and a marijuana cutter and a 19-year-old male student admitted to smoking, but said he had no drug paraphernalia. All three students will be reported to OSCCR.