Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collette

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Thursday, October 4 11:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female student called Northeastern University Division of Public Safety from Light Hall, reporting having trouble breathing and was experiencing a paranoia attack. When officers arrived at the scene, she informed them that she had smoked marijuana earlier that evening, but had never had a problem with it in the past. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. She would not tell NUPD where she got her marijuana and will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

Tuesday, October 2 11:30 a.m. A 19-year-old female student reported that she locked her bike in the Speare Commons while she was eating breakfast. When she returned, her bike and chain lock were missing.

3:30 p.m. A 23-year-old male student reported that he had borrowed a bicycle from his friend, a 19-year-old male student, and rode it to the Curry Student Center. He left it unlocked inside the food court when he went to Wendy’s. When he returned, the bike was missing. It was found in the Snell Library Quad later that afternoon.

5 p.m. A 23-year-old male student reported that his laptop computer was missing from his 335 Huntington Ave. apartment. He had left at 8 a.m. and returned at 4 p.m. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers found no signs of forced entry and nothing else was missing from the apartment.

Wednesday, October 3 2 p.m. A 19-year-old student left his gym bag unattended at Parsons Field while at rugby practice. His cell phone, IDs, credit cards and cash were missing and his gym bag was found unzipped.

Thursday, October 4 1 p.m. A staff member in Meserve Hall reported that between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. Oct. 1 his cell phone was stolen from his open office while he was down the hall at a meeting.

7 p.m. A 26-year-old female student reported her backpack stolen while she was waiting for a train at Ruggles Station. The thief was chased out of the station by the victim and some bystanders, and followed for several blocks before losing him near Tremont Street. They flagged down an officer from the Boston Police Department (BPD). An hour later, the Transit Police and NUPD were notified of the crime by the BPD.

10 p.m. A 20-year-old male student and a Boston University student were robbed in the Fenway while they were walking home from the movies. The suspect said he had a gun, but did not show it. BPD is investigating the incident.

Friday, October 5 3 a.m. NUPD officers responded to reports of a noisy group fighting on Hemenway Street. Officers approached a group of four or five people fighting and broke them up. As officers started to get names, a man later identified as an 18-year-old non-student walked up to the crowd and punched a 21-year-old male student. As the 18-year-old was taken into custody, he was disorderly, resisted arrest and shouted profanities. Another 18-year-old non-student approached the officers and acted disorderly. That man was also taken into police custody. Because he was intoxicated he was taken to Boston Medical Center. Both men will be summonsed to appear in Roxbury District Court under charges of disorderly conduct and assault, if the assaulted student decides to press charges.

10 a.m. A staff member reported three young teenagers were loitering around the bike racks near Speare Hall and they said it appeared that they were planning to steal bicycles. The youths fled when NUPD officers arrived, but two were apprehended. Daniel Pinkett, 17, was arrested after he was seen riding a pink girl’s bicycle that he admitted to stealing. Pinkett was also wanted on a warrant from Boston Municipal Court for larceny. The other fleeing youth, a 15-year-old male, was arrested for trespassing. Both students admitted that they came to campus to try to steal bicycles.

Saturday, October 6 12:45 a.m. An NUPD officer on patrol on St. Stephen Street saw two men loitering next to Light Hall. One reached up and started to pull down the fire escape, which set off a burglar alarm. A number of residents left the building, thinking they heard the fire alarm. An officer stopped the two men, who identified themselves as Berklee College of Music students. They said they wanted to smoke cigarettes on the fire escape. One student, Michael Kindell, 19, was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

1:30 a.m. NUPD officers were dispatched to Douglass Park after receiving a report of a loud party on the sixth floor. They knocked on the door for some time before they were let in. The two residents, both 21-year-old female students, said that they were having a birthday party and that most of the students in the apartment were older than 21. As officers were identifying all the students at the party, all who were over 21, one officer thought she heard noise behind a closed door and found two 20-year-old male students. It was apparent to the officers that they had been drinking, but the hosts said they had not provided them with alcohol and could not explain why they were in the apartment. All four will be reported to Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

1:30 a.m. An NUPD officer patrolling on Columbus Avenue heard a verbal argument outside of Squashbusters. Officers found two 19-year-old female students, who reported that they had encountered a group of six to eight young men, one who came up behind them and grabbed each around the waist. When the girls pulled away, the men yelled profanities at them and dumped water at them. The group of men ran across Columbus toward Tremont Street and got away.

1:45 a.m. NUPD officers were dispatched to a third floor men’s bathroom in Smith Hall, responding to a report of a student vomiting. They encountered an 18-year-old male non-student from New York, who was intoxicated and vomiting. He was taken to Boston Medical Center by ambulance. He had been signed into the building by a 19-year-old female resident, who said she had just met him this weekend and did not know he was drinking. The resident will be reported to OSCCR to be held accountable for her guest’s behavior.

10 p.m. An NUPD officer saw two young men walking across Huntington Avenue carrying cases of beer. As the officer drove past them, they quickly walked down an alley. They first told the officer they did not have an ID, but they later produced driver’s licenses which identified them as 19 and 20-year-old non-students. They said they had found a 21-year-old who agreed to buy them beer. NUPD warned them not to return to campus, confiscated their alcohol and sent them on their way.

Sunday, October 7 12:30 a.m. NUPD officers, responding to reports of a fight on Coventry Street, and found two 19-year-old students who had been assaulted and had facial cuts and bruises. Meanwhile, BPD responded to a report that two other men had been attacked nearby, on Tremont Street. All four victims described the same assailant, and NUPD is investigating. The victims said they could identify him if they saw him again. Two victims were taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the other two were taken to Boston Medical Center.

1:30 a.m.a NUPD officers responded to a report of a 20-year-old male non-student who claimed that he had been assaulted. He would not give any personal information to the officers and declined medical assistance. An hour later, an officer on patrol saw the same man repeatedly kicking and punching a parked car, which he believed belonged to the man who had assaulted him. Douglas Battistrida, 22, of Middlebury, Conn., was arrested on a warrant in Connecticut for burglary and was taken into police custody. NUPD left a note on the vandalized car, which belongs to a Northeastern student who lives in a private apartment nearby, but the student has yet to get in touch with NUPD.

5 p.m. NUPD received a report that someone had written an anti-Semitic comment on a flyer that was on display in Speare Quad.

11 p.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) in White Hall requested NUPD assistance on the fourth floor of that building, where residents were being uncooperative with RAs who went to the room after finding evidence of alcohol use in the hallway. An 18-year-old male student was showing symptoms of recent alcohol consumption, as were two of his guests, an 18-year-old female and a 19-year-old male, who are also residents of White Hall. Officers and RAs found several empty bottles of vodka and a scale with hollowed out cigar blunts. They confiscated four bottles of rum and strawberry daiquiri mix. All three students will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, October 8 2:30 a.m. Officers were called into the second floor women’s room in Speare Hall to investigate reports of an unconscious female. They found an 18-year-old Speare resident in a fetal position on the shower floor. She was able to return to her room and will be reported to OSCCR.

8 p.m. An RA at Speare Hall reported offensive drawings on a white board on the door to a fourth floor room. No nearby residents were home at the time. NUPD is investigating the incident.