Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collette

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, October 23 11 a.m. Two 19-year-old female roommates, who lived in an apartment on St. Stephen Street, got in an argument that resulted in one hitting the other. The roommate who was hit told Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD ) officers she didn’t want to press charges. Since then, one of the roommates has moved out and both will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

4 p.m. A female staff member reported that a week before someone stole a pair of shoes from a bag left on her desk.

5 p.m. A 21-year-old male student reported that on the previous day an intruder entered his Westland Avenue leased property apartment through an unlocked window. The intruder told him to get in a closet, and the resident stayed there for about 15 minutes, until he did not hear any noise. He discovered that one of his roommate’s laptop was stolen and called the Boston Police Department (BPD). The next day, his roommate called NUPD and asked about the burglary, but they said they didn’t know anything about it. NUPD will continue to investigate with BPD.

8:30 p.m. A staff member reported that his car, which he had parked behind Hurtig Hall, had been broken into. He told police he believed someone took his car registration, but nothing else was missing.

Wednesday, October 24 2:30 p.m. A 23-year-old female student reported that between Oct. 18 and Oct. 20 there had been a theft from her West Village E apartment. She said she had been away for the weekend and her roommate had left the door propped open because she had lost her key. Twenty-five DVDs were found missing when the roommate returned.

8 p.m. After receiving a report, NUPD officers found two boys, aged 7 and 11, on the roof of 780 Columbus Ave. The boys live in an adjacent building and had climbed onto the roof to see the jets flying overhead before the start of the first World Series game. NUPD told them to get off the roof.

Thursday, October 25 2 p.m. A 22-year-old female student reported that on Oct. 19 her roommate had left their door unlocked. When she returned, her iPod was missing.

8 p.m. A female student from Speare Hall reported that her roommate frequently used drugs and had periodically sold them from their room. She told her roommate to stop and that if she caught her again she would notify Residential Life and NUPD. Her roommate continued, and NUPD and OSCCR are investigating. Saturday, October 27 12:30 a.m. A 19-year-old male student flagged down an officer on Gainsborough Street shortly after leaving a party where he said he had been punched in the face. He directed the police to the building where it happened, but said he didn’t know what floor the party was on. He said he didn’t want to press charges and went home. Officers went to 115 Gainsborough St. and spoke to the host of a party, a 19-year-old male student. He offered to turn his music down and sent guests home. Officers saw no evidence of alcohol use or assault in the apartment. There were no other loud parties in the building.

12:30 a.m. BPD asked NUPD for assistance at a loud party at Douglass Park, when they discovered the residents and most of the guests were Northeastern students. When officers arrived at the leased property apartment, only the residents, two 18-year-old male students, were there. Officers saw many cups of beer, which the residents poured down the drain. Both residents will be reported to OSCCR.

1:15 a.m. A proctor in Burstein Hall reported that a resident who appeared to be intoxicated had entered the building. Officers found a 19-year-old male resident in his second floor room who had been drinking but did not appear to need medical attention. Officers confiscated a beer ball and a bottle of rum, and the student will be reported to OSCCR.

2:45 a.m. NUPD responded to calls that someone was banging on an outside door of Smith Hall trying to get in. He shattered the glass door with his foot before running away.

9:30 a.m. A parking attendant in the Renaissance Park Garage reported a suspicious person pulling car door handles. An NUPD officer stopped Carlos Martinez of Lawrence, who had no explanation as to why he was in the garage. Officers learned that he was wanted on three outstanding arrest warrants: one drug-related and two for driving under the influence of alcohol. No damage was found to any cars in the garage.

8 p.m. A female graduate student who works part-time for Chartwells in the Curry Student Center said she put her backpack in the employee coat room at 2 p.m. and at 8 p.m. she realized her laptop was missing.

Sunday, October 28 1 a.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) in Kennedy Hall reported that there was an intoxicated man on the fifth floor. Officers found the 19-year-old male student, who lives in another building and had been signed in by a resident. He admitted to drinking at a party on Hemenway Street, but wouldn’t give the address. He didn’t need medical attention and was escorted back to his West Village apartment. He will be reported to OSCCR.

2 a.m. An RA reported that a 17-year-old female student was found intoxicated in her Stetson West room. Officers met with the student, who admitted she had been drinking, and determined she did not need medical attention. Officers confiscated a two-liter bottle of vodka from her room. She will be reported to OSCCR. 2:30 a.m. A friend of a 19-year-old male student called from 116 St. Stephen St. to report his friend had vomited and that he was concerned for the friend’s well being. Officers responded, but the student did not need hospitalization. The student admitted he had been drinking and will be reported to OSCCR.

3:30 a.m. Officers responded to a West Village C suite, where a 21-year-old male student reported that he had been assaulted by Ryan Terrary, the 20-year-old male student whom he lives with. The two had gotten in a fight over a girl and Terrary admitted to assaulting his roommate. Based on that admission and the victim’s statement, Terrary was arrested for domestic assault and battery. Terrary was immediately placed in another residence hall. He will be summonsed in Roxbury District Court and will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, October 29 11:30 a.m. NUPD was called to Northeastern’s bookstore after the manager chased a woman who had stolen clothing and run toward Krentzman Quad. She put the clothing in a car on Huntington Avenue. Officers stopped the car and discovered that the driver was a woman who tried to return clothing without receipts half an hour earlier. Inside the car was also clothing from Boston University and Berklee College of Music. A few minutes later, the bookstore manager and an NUPD officer saw someone leaving the YMCA carrying a television set and the bookstore manager recognized her as the shoplifter. The two women, Stephanie Hawkes, 39, of Boston and Jennifer Seigel, 25, of Dover, NH were arrested and will be summonsed to Roxbury District Court.

1:30 p.m. The manager of the Marino Center Wollaston’s reported that he saw an 18-year-old male student steal a protein bar. The student said he didn’t have enough money to buy it, so he stole it. He has been banned from both on campus Wollason’s locations and will be reported to OSCCR. 4:15 p.m. A caller reported that two 15-year-old females were beating up a 13-year-old female on Columbus Avenue. An officer separated the girls, who attend the same high school but wouldn’t say what they were fighting about. Their parents were called and the two 15-year-old girls, who both have prior convictions, will be reported to juvenile court.