Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Collette

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Entry of the Week Thursday, October 18 11:30 a.m. A 22-year-old male student was stopped by a Northeastern University Division of Public Safety officer on Forsyth Street near the Northeastern School of Law renovation construction site because the student was walking down the middle of the street. The officer directed him to the sidewalk, but the student repeatedly refused to follow directions and made comments saying he was not going to follow them. The officer stopped the student, who will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, and noted that he had been stopped several times before for being uncooperative with directions relating to pedestrian safety.

Wednesday, October 17 11 a.m. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers found two Boston English High School students, a male and a female, arguing loudly on Forsyth Street near Ruggles T Station. The students were on campus on a chaperoned school tour. The two had not hit each other and were separated. A chaperone was present, and the two students will be discipline by their school.

Noon A 19-year-old female student reported leaving her cell phone out of sight for one minute as she was paying for lunch in the Curry Student Center. Her phone was gone from the counter when she reached for it.

2 p.m. Officers encountered two females fighting on the service road behind the Egan Research Center. They were Boston English High School students who had visited for a chaperoned tour and were sent home directly from campus. The two females were cousins who had gotten into a fight about family issues. Officers separated the girls and adult family members were contacted.

5 p.m. A 26-year-old female graduate student reported that Wednesday, Oct. 10, she had left a pocketbook unattended in a Shillman Hall classroom. When she returned the wallet was missing. It contained several credit cards and about $90 in cash.

5 p.m. An 18-year-old male student reported that his backpack had been stolen sometime during the afternoon from the Dodge Hall office where he works. The office where he had left the backpack had been unattended and unlocked. The backpack had books and an iPod in it.

Thursday, October 18 Noon A 20-year-old female student reported that she had been receiving harassing phone calls and text messages for the past few months, sometimes five to six times a day. She changed her phone number, but continued receiving the calls, so she assumed they are coming from someone she knows. NUPD is working with her cell phone provider to trace the source of the calls.

4 p.m. A 19-year-old male student reported that on Oct. 14 at 11 p.m. he had locked his bicycle outside of West Village C. When he returned Sunday at 3:30 a.m., his bike was gone and the cable lock was cut. When NUPD officers asked why he had waited so long to report the theft, he said he had been too busy.

9:30 p.m. A 22-year-old male student reported that at 9 p.m. he locked his bike to the fence of the Russell J. Call Children’s Center behind White Hall. When he returned a half hour later, his bike was gone and the cable lock was cut.

Friday, October 19 5:30 a.m. A 19-year-old female student who lives in a private apartment on St. Stephen Street reported that an 18-year-old male student had passed out in her apartment the night before. His host tried to wake him the next morning, but the student refused to leave. When NUPD officers arrived, he was outside and apparently hungover, but not disorderly. He will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

1 p.m. A 23-year-old female student reported that three days earlier, her cell phone was stolen from Shillman Hall. When she borrowed another phone to call her phone, someone answered and the two arranged a meeting. The person who answered her phone did not show up when they planned and never answered the phone again.

10 p.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) from Douglass Park called NUPD to request assistance on the seventh floor. The RA had asked the residents to quiet down, but they were belligerent and slammed the door on the RA. The police identified the two residents, 19- and 20-year-old males, and saw a number of empty beer cans, an opened bottle of vodka and three underage visitors, ages 18, 19 and 20. The residents will be reported to OSCCR. The three visitors were sent off campus.

Saturday, October 20 1:15 a.m. An NUPD officer saw a man and a woman at the intersection of Huntington Avenue and Forsyth Street who seemed to be arguing. The officer approached the two 18 year olds, an intoxicated male student and a female student who was sober and trying to convince the male to return to his residence hall. The male student was unable to tell police where he was. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 p.m. Three non-students, two 18-year-olds and one 19-year-old males, who had been invited to use the Northeastern boathouse during their competition in the Head Of The Charles Regatta reported that someone had stolen their wallets, which had been left in an open and unlocked area of the building.

Sunday, October 21 12:30 a.m. An RA in Smith Hall found an 18-year-old male student vomiting. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m. An RA in Smith Hall found an 18-year-old female student vomiting in a restroom. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

An 18-year-old male was found vomiting in the fourth floor of Speare Hall. He was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, October 22 9:30 p.m. A 20-year-old student reported that his Husky Card was stolen from InfoCommons, where he had left it on a counter while he was hole-punching printouts. He lost it at 7:30 a.m. and it was used three times before NUPD deactivated it.