Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, February 12 Noon A male student reported he had been walking in the Fenway behind the Museum of Fine Arts when two men asked him what he had in his pockets. They allegedly intimidated him until he gave them a small amount of money and his iPod. The student then fled and called police, but the men were gone from the area by the time Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officers arrived.

4:30 p.m. A female student reported receiving a harassing, obscene video on her cell phone. NUPD was able to trace where the video came from through caller ID. Before NUPD had a chance to contact the number, the sender of the video, a man not affiliated with Northeastern, called to apologize and said the video had been sent to the wrong number.

5 p.m. A male graduate student reported his laptop stolen after he left it on a table in the Curry Student Center for 10 minutes while buying food.

Wednesday, Friday 13 1 p.m. A fire alarm was activated at 10 Coventry Street after a female student burned some food while cooking. While NUPD officers were checking the building, they found two students who hadn’t evacuated the building. Both men will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) for a fire safety violation.

4:30 p.m. Residential Life (ResLife) staff from Smith Hall reported an ongoing vandalism spree on exit signs in Smith Hall. ResLife staff has already begun an investigation but NUPD does not yet have enough evidence to charge anyone. 4:30 p.m. A female reported her laundry stolen after leaving it in a Davenport A dryer overnight.

Thursday, February 14 9:30 p.m. Four high school students were found using computers in Snell Library to visit adult websites. NUPD escorted the youths off campus and issued them trespass warnings.

Friday, February 15 10 a.m. A neighborhood resident reported his wallet was stolen from the men’s locker room in the Marino Center Feb. 11. He said he believes his wallet, which contained several credit cards, fell out of his pocket before he locked the lockerhe was using.

11 p.m. A caller reported that a car had been speeding on the service road behind Snell Library and almost hit a pedestrian. An officer saw a car pull into the load zone behind the Egan building and approached the driver, a 22-year-old male student. The officer checked the student’s license and discovered the student had been driving with a suspended license. The license was confiscated and another passenger in the car, who had a valid license, was allowed to drive the car away. The student was uncooperative with the officer and will be reported to OSCCR for his inappropriate behavior.

Saturday, February 16 9 a.m. A female student reported her laptop and prescription medication were stolen from her apartment at Douglass Park overnight. NUPD found no forced entry to the apartment, and she said she believes her roommates came home after she was sleeping and may have left the door unlocked. Her roommates also had some guests in the apartment for part of the night. NUPD is investigating. Sunday, February 17 2 a.m. Several callers reported a fight on St. Stephen Street. Officers responded and found a male student who had been beaten, and had what appeared to have a broken nose. Witnesses told NUPD that the injured student had brushed up against another pedestrian as they were walking down the street and a fight broke out. The student did not want to report anything to police and was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance for treatment.

2:30 a.m. A caller reported an intoxicated female vomiting in the men’s bathroom on the first floor of Smith Hall. Officers went to the bathroom and found a 19-year-old female Simmons College student who was heavily intoxicated. She told the officers she was visiting a student in the building, but officers were unable to locate the student, who will be questioned later. The student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance for treatment.

5 p.m. A male student reported his iPhone missing. He said he believed he may have left it in the lobby of Davenport A earlier in the day.

5:15 p.m. An officer in Snell Library saw a middle-aged man visiting adult sites on a computer in the lobby on the first floor. The officer questioned him and asked for identification, but the man walked away. The officer stopped him outside the building and when he reached for the man’s arm, the man threw a lit cigarette in the officer’s face. The man, a 46-year-old resident from Dorchester who is not affiliated with Northeastern, was arrested.