Crime Log

By Erin Kelly

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Wednesday, January 30 6 p.m. A male student reported the theft of his cell phone and $200 overnight from his apartment at 122 St. Stephen St. He called Northeastern Division of Public Safety (NUPD) Feb. 4 to report his property was recovered. The student had previously named a suspect, but after his property was recovered, he implied the money and cell phone had not been stolen, but that he had instead misplaced them.

10:30 p.m. A female student reported suspicious activity in the rear alley by her apartment at 103 Hemenway St. The student called the next morning and told NUPD she had reason to believe someone may have entered her apartment, although nothing was missing. Since her residence is a private building, the case was referred to the Boston Police Department (BPD).

Thursday, January 31 6:15 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported receiving harassing e-mails from a former boyfriend who is an alumnus of the university. An NUPD officer contacted the alumnus and told him continuing to send unwanted messages would result in criminal charges. The alumnus said he would stop trying to contact the student.

Friday, February 1 1:30 a.m. An NUPD officer patrolling near Stetson East foumd the door leading into the Living and Learning Center ajar. When he went in to investigate, he found a male who has no affiliation to Northeastern. A background check revealed the man is wanted for burglary in Woburn and Dedham. The man arrested and charged with trespassing.

1 p.m. NUPD responded to a call from Whittier Street Health Center about a disorderly person. Though Whittier Street Health Center is owned by Northeastern, there are no university-affiliated people inside. When NUPD arrived, they identified a man who was wanted by BPD for failure to appear in court from a prior arrest. The man, 51, was arrested on the charges, and the staff banned him from the health center.

3 p.m. Two female students from White Hall, reported both their laptops, along with $100 in cash, missing from their room when they returned from class. Both suspected a man not affiliated with Northeastern, who had been living with them the previous week. He was an acquaintance of one of the students and had been thrown out of his family’s home in suburban Boston. NUPD located later him that day at a jail in Lynn. He said he had already sold their laptops.

5 p.m. A male student reported one of his credit cards had been used to make a few small purchases, although he had not lost his credit card. NUPD is working with his credit card company to get the charges removed.

Saturday, February 2 12:30 a.m. NUPD responded to a call from a student who reported he had been robbed in Mission Hill a few minutes earlier while walking with his girlfriend. He said about six teenagers approached him, knocked him to the ground and stole $30 from him before running away. NUPD called BPD, who also responded to the call. The student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center for treatment.

2:30 a.m. A male student arrived at a friend’s apartment on Gainsborough Street and told his friend he has been assaulted by a group of eight to 10 college-aged men walking home from a party near Park Street. His friend called NUPD out of concern, and NUPD notified BPD and suggested the student file a report with them.

Sunday, February 3 1:30 a.m. NUPD and BPD responded to anonymous complaints of a loud party at 616 Columbus Ave. Officers knocked on the door, and the first person who opened the door slammed it shut. Officers knocked repeatedly, as they heard clinking bottles and commotion within the apartment. Once they finally entered the apartment, officers asked to talk to the apartment residents, but were informed none were there. Officers noted alcohol at the party and checked the mailbox in the lobby and identified the four male residents, two 20-year-olds and two 21-year-olds, all students. All four residents will be reported to the Office of Student Code and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). 6 p.m. NUPD officers noticed two 19-year-old students from Emerson College walking on Symphony Road carrying two bags, which appeared to be full of beer. They were stopped and asked to present identification. Two 12-packs of beer and a 40-pack of beer were confiscated and disposed of, and the students were reported to Emerson College officials.

10 p.m. A male student who knocked over a large US postal service mailbox after the Superbowl Sunday was taken back to NUPD headquarters following the incident to confirm his identity and evaluate his medical condition, after officers had detected the smell of alcohol. NUPD released the student later that night, and he will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, February 4 1:30 p.m. A female student reported she had been receiving harassing, unwanted e-mails from a co-worker she had worked with at her former co-op job. She said a permanent employee of the company had made advances at her in the workplace, and continued to attempt to contact her after she left the job. The co-op department at Northeastern has been informed, and notified the company’s human resources department. The employee was told to stop contacting the student, or face criminal charges. The company is also conducting a workplace harassment internal investigation.