Northeastern commencement set to take place at Fenway Park for class of 2024

Marta Hill
Graduates pose for a picture after receiving their alumni pins. The university will hold its annual commencement ceremony for the class of 2024 at Fenway Park for the fourth year in a row this spring.

The university will hold its annual commencement ceremony for the class of 2024 at the legendary Fenway Park for the fourth year in a row this spring, according to an article published Thursday by Northeastern Global News, or NGN. 

The celebration will take place May 5, with the graduate ceremony beginning at 10 a.m. and the undergraduates following at 4 p.m.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the class of 2020 was unable to celebrate alongside their peers the year they were set to graduate. Instead, the class’s commencement was held after a year and a half of delays.

For the class of2021, Northeastern hosted an in-person commencement at Fenway Park, the first time the university has held its ceremony on the historic baseball field. 

Now, the university is set to celebrate its 2024 graduates in the Fenway outfield for the fourth consecutive year.

The ceremony will celebrate both the graduating class and Northeastern’s 125th birthday, according to the NGN article. 

“As we celebrate our thriving university’s 125th birthday, how fitting that we will do so at the iconic Fenway Park, itself just a few years younger than Northeastern!” David Madigan, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs told NGN. “It promises to be a wonderful and joyous occasion, rain or shine!”

About the Contributors
Val O’Neill
Val O’Neill, Managing Editor
Val O’Neill is a third-year journalism major with a minor in photography and one of the deputy campus editors. She has previously been a staff writer and staff photographer and is excited to bring new ideas and continue her participation on The News. You can follow her on X/Twitter at @vqon717.
Marta Hill
Marta Hill, Editor-at-Large
Marta Hill (she/her) is a fourth-year journalism major and the editor-at-large of The News. Before becoming editor-in-large, she served as editor-in-chief for a year and previously held the positions of campus editor, deputy campus editor and a variety of staff roles. Marta currently works for NASA as a science writer and hopes to keep the entire campus community up to date on matters concerning Northeastern. You can follow her @martajhill on Twitter.